Friday, October 5, 2012

Me as a Fuddy Duddy

At (my very first ever) book club meeting last week, we had lots of lively discussion. (And yes, the discussions included the book, thank-you-very-much.) One topic in particular got me thinking: If you have grandparents, you've probably rolled your eyes at things that they said or did. You know, like how grandparents can't figure out computers (gross generalizations noted), or how they use funny words like "slacks" (as in "pants," not as in "increases one's laziness").

But here's the thing: I have every expectation that someday, should Rhett and Ollie have kids, I will be an eye-roll-inducing grandmother. But what, exactly, will I do to induce such eye rolling? Chuck and I came up with two possibilities:

1. Reading printed material. I love reading newspapers. I've been a subscriber since my first days in the dorms as a college freshman. And books. I cannot convert to reading on a Nook or Kindle or whatever. But Chuck and I both think all things print (newspapers, books, textbooks even) will be gone and replaced by readers installed in our eyelids so we only need to close our eyes to begin reading. (Kidding. Kind of.)

2. Using bananas as pretend phones. Since phones no longer reach from the ear to the mouth, the concept of using one as a joke phone will be completely lost on them. I am especially looking forward to this as I cannot hold a banana without pretending it's a phone. Cannot. I'm sure teenaged grandchildren will LOVE this, especially if friends are with them.

I'm particularly interested in what beliefs I have that will be seen as very outdated by grandchildren. What else?

Donut Dash tomorrow! So excited!

5 comments:

  1. Right after I read this post I was reading through facebook and my friend said that she was upset for ruining a pair of her work slacks!! Ha ha, made me laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it. my kids use calculators as phones - makes sense. but i like bananas much better.

    i think ben and i will definitely be more fuddy-duddy than you and chuck. so i can only imagine how much eye-rolling will be going on with our family. :)

    but it's nostalgic and i love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doomed. I still like writing in my journal with pen on paper, taking pictures with a regular digital camera (not my phone), and I call pants slacks.

    And then there's the other realms of fuddy-duddy religious-culture-wise and feminist/family roles-wise which I think will not be gentle to me as I morph very slowly from my established ideas and knowledge.

    I already embarrass myself! My poor kiddos and grandkiddos.

    I think you and Chuck are cool. I'll tell your grandkids that. I'm sure they'll love hearing it from me and will believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HIlarious, but I did find an ACTUAL cell phone from about 10 years ago and ALL of my children were seriously DYING over how funny it looked. 10 years!!! WOW. I'm already a buddy-duddy I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fuddy-duddy.....not buddy duddy! Ha.

    ReplyDelete