Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Guilt

It's really unfortunate that on top of all the other things parents have to do, we also labor under intense feelings of guilt.

Here is a small sample of the things I feel guilty about on a fairly regular basis:

  • that my kids don't get outside enough.
  • that my kids don't eat enough vegetables and don't take multivitamins.
  • that Bruno doesn't get the same attention he got pre-kids.
  • that Ollie doesn't get near the same amount of book time Rhett got.
  • that Ollie will not have the only-child attention until Rhett's off in college/mission, at which point Ollie probably won't want all that attention.
  • that my house isn't nearly as clean as it used to be.
  • that I never have side dishes at dinner.
  • that we don't use the sandbox because it rains here all the time and gets gross.
  • that I leave Chuck every Saturday morning for my long runs and he is "stuck" with the boys.
  • that I make Rhett go to preschool even though he recently divulged to me that he doesn't want to go.
Update 1: Monday night we had TWO side dishes (count them: chips and broccoli with dip--a vegetable even!) with dinner. I felt like a superstar.

Update 2: We spent three days last weekend in the sandbox. And Ollie didn't eat all the sand (which, of course, was my fear in letting him get in it)!

4 comments:

  1. I totally hear you on the side dishes thing!! Getting dinner on the table is hard enough! If we do have a side it's usually a simple vegetable steamer pack.

    I can't speak for future Ollie but I loved my "only child" time when I was 17! We did lots of fun stuff just the 3 of us and I was completely spoiled. It rocked :)

    Don't let the guilt get to you!! You are a great mom! So many things I hear you do or see on your blog make me want to be better too! Nobody is perfect- just keep at it! Your boys love you no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Emily is so right. I ditto her entire last paragraph and repeat... You are a great mom! I so admire you.

    But what a reality, eh? You are a fantastic mom and feel guilt. (Imagine if you were a terrible mom? Does that mean you feel more guilt or no guilt? Ha!) Being a parent is so hard! (Although I suspect men feel much less guilt on a daily basis - sexist? Probably, but I think it's a true stereotype.) I share many of your same guilts. Man, I need to do a post like this.

    I think you're wonderful. Brilliant. Honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're brave to list your guilts. . . but i guess they are pretty normal and not that bad!

    you'll have 1-on-1 time with ollie next year when rhett is at school all day, right!?

    bruno and wilson could relate very well. . .

    and don't feel guilty about your long runs - maybe i say that because i don't want to feel guilty about mine! but perhaps i feel a tinge, but it's just a tinge. sometimes thinking of my long run is what helps me make it to saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I not know about this blog! I love it Erin...your list of guilt is about the same length as mine! Although mine includes things like: telling my kids they can't come out of their room until 7:00 am or else; sneaking snacks for myself after telling my kids it isn't snack time; I'll stop now because the guilt is really setting in!

    We miss you guys and hope all is well there in rainy MD. Wait, I thought we moved to the rainiest place in the US? Tell everyone hi! by the way...did you watch Top Chef Masters? One of the contestants reminded me of Chuck!

    ReplyDelete