Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Things Rhett Says

Rhett's at it again.

Rhett: Mom, why do parents always take the fun out of everything?

Rhett was at his friend's house where he is being served lunch. Rhett asked for peanut butter and honey sandwiches (with no crust) and apple slices (with no peel). The chef very kindly obliged because he was a guest; those requests are not normally granted in her house, nor in ours. Later during lunch, Rhett remarked, "I'm sure glad I'm eating lunch here. [MY MOM] would never cut the edges off my sandwich or my apples."  That kid.

******* On a related note *******
Okay, every so often I post these funny-to-me statements from Rhett. Of course, Chuck and I think they're hysterical, and we expect family (and maybe friends?) to find them mildly entertaining, which is one of the reasons I share them. But here's the rub: I know that not everyone finds them funny. Nor does everyone think he's charming in person. And really, I don't expect either of those.

But in person, Rhett can be somewhat of an attention hog and sometimes I indulge him because I think he's being hysterical. But what if he's not? What if all of his funny-to-me interruptions are really annoying to those with whom I'm speaking? How does a mom (a well-meaning but maybe clueless mom) know if her kid is cute or if he's just obnoxious? How much of a conversation should I allow my four-year-old to hijack? (Please don't say none. The kid is four. I really believe that expecting him to leave me completely alone is above his ability. Yes it's something I'm aiming for and working on, but now it's just not our reality.) I am genuinely concerned about this.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh. Well, I think he's funny. Part of it is the actual voice of children as well that makes things funny.

    As for your question... PLEASE let me know. I find that I have a hard time with this as well! I'm well-meaning, but I also want to teach her that what she has to say can be important too (at the appropriate moment). I also find this really hard while webcamming with Marc's family... they love to gab, but then when Madeleine says something they never hear it, so I have to wait for a pause, and insert, "M would like to say something..." Is that so obnoxious?! My thought is, isn't that part of the reason WHY we're webcamming? To see and hear their grandkids???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Rhett posts, I think they are so funny!!

    ReplyDelete