Wednesday, November 27, 2013

If You're a Bird, Be an Early Bird

I know I complain a lot about my little boys waking early. But if I'm totally honest (do I have to be?), I love my family of early birds. Which is a good thing because in our house, there's no avoiding it. I'm out the door before 6:00 a.m. Monday through Friday, for either running or work. Chuck leaves the house between 6:30 and 7:00. And because our house isn't that big, and we're just not that quiet, it's only natural that our boys wake up early too.

Why do I love getting up early? Because it means that by 8:00 a.m., we can be runned, dressed, fed, clothed, and ready for the day. Why is this so good? Because things are empty in the mornings! We were at the zoo early one morning recently, and it was empty. Empty means no people. No people means quiet. I love it. The same goes for going downtown. Or going to IKEA. Or going anywhere, really. And if we go early, it means we can come back early, which means Ollie sometimes even gets a nap! And of course, because the boys are up early, they go down early. Whenever Rhett asked why he has to go to bed earlier than his friends, I get to tell him it's because he wakes earlier than his friends.

Sure, sometimes being a late family would be helpful. Like when I stay up until 1 a.m. with my (now-defunct) craft night women. Or when we want to stay up late in the evening to see the gorgeous Great Falls at twilight. But for the most part, I'm happy with us.


P.S. I can't lie and say that every now and then, especially maybe Sundays in 2014 when church doesn't start until 12:30, I pray for a post-7:00 a.m. wake up.

1 comment:

  1. good for you in looking on the bright side of things. :) just wait until they get older and if THEY wake up early, it doesn't mean YOU have to, too!

    aw, why defunct? i wish you lived here.

    i can't wait for 9am church! it's been over 3 years since we've not gone at 1 or 1:30. can't wait!

    ReplyDelete