Friday, May 21, 2010

Flashback Fridays

As it's getting to be graduation time around here, I thought I'd take a look back at my three graduations.

First, high school. What a joke. Living in Utah, we just don't plan for rain. Because we get none. But still, with big events, I think there should be some sort of back-up plan. Not so with my graduation, however. Midway through the ceremony it started sprinkling. After about 50 of the first 800 graduates' names were read, it started pouring. Then came the announcement, "Screw it. Go get your diplomas in the gym. Oh, and congratulations." (I may have paraphrased a bit.)

So when college graduation came around, I wanted all the pomp and circumstance I could handle. Therefore I dragged my entire family (sis, bro, parents, and two grandparents) to THREE (count them: university convocation, math graduation, and geography graduation) ceremonies. What a waste of time. I have no idea what anyone said. And I'm pretty sure that the readers of my name didn't get it right. Oh well, it looks like it was a beautiful day.

You'd think by the time I got to graduating with my Master's that I'd be done with graduation ceremonies. Turns out I wasn't. Going to a school downtown made me really really want to go downtown for graduation. I mean come on, how many girls from Utah can say that their graduation ceremony took place on the ellipse? Not many. This time I dragged my parents and my roommates. Again with the rain. (This shouldn't surprise people; it rains more here than in Seattle. I'm not lying. Look it up.) After we took advantage of the D.C. backdrop for some photos, we hightailed it to brunch instead, skipping all ceremonies. Finally! I learned something! And it only took me twenty years of school.

9 comments:

  1. You went to Brighton high right? I'm sorry it rained on you! If it makes you feel better they did get a 'back up plan'. All the high schools in Jordan district now have their graduation at the E-Center. No football field for us :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO proud and the graduation hat suits you well, you look darling!!! In all of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so strange about your hs graduation. my itty bitty hs graduation class of only 500 was held inside the huntsman center on a hot hot june day. my colledge graduation was also held in the huntsman center and the worst thing i remember about that day was the crappy, crappy wind outside on cinco de mayo! the BEST thing i remeber about that day was some grad seriously wrote his name down as Semour Butts...and they anounced it! all the simpson fans busted up laughing, definitely the highlight of my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the post. How fun.

    I think all sounded necessary. You have to go to all of the events at least once, so you knew to totally skip them next time around!!

    Congrats on all your achievements! You are a smartie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha! i just realized i spelled college as colledge. as funny as this is i do have a good excuse. my aunt uncle and cousins' last name is colledge so i often find myself misspelling college. i am so smart, SMRT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! I love all of those pictures! I think graduations are awesome and I'm glad that you took advantage of them! Looking at my graduation pictures makes me realize that they were some of my best days ever (behind my marriage and children's birth of course...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our high school graduations must've been on the same night, because that's EXACTLY how Alta's was! But rather than make me hungry for my college graduation ceremony, it made me want to skip mine. Which I did. :) But if I get a master's, I'll go to that one. You look so official and masterful in your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @melissa--didn't someone die at yours? i'm pretty sure our graduations were the same night and i remember being told that someone DIED from lightning at alta!! eek! maybe it was just a rumor, however unlikely rumors are when dealing with high schoolers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @emily--that makes me so sad about the e-center. i hate that idea.

    ReplyDelete