Saturday, May 29, 2010

Single Mum: Take 1 of 1

Because I couldn't do my regular long run with my regular running partner today, Rhett and I took off for Alexandria. I've always wanted to explore Old Town and the Mount Vernon Trail runs right through it; why not combine the two?

All went as planned. We drove to a parking lot, ran three miles in, and then ran three miles out. I'm not a fast runner, but let's just say this run took a LOT longer than it would if I was on my own. We stopped to look at water (Potomac River mostly), dogs in the river, boats in the river, and one small trip to a playground. But hey! What did I care? Where did I have to be? Who was waiting for me? That's right: I'm playing a single mom this weekend.

After the run, we headed to Gravelly Point. If you're a Maryland or Virginia resident and you haven't yet been there, GO! And go now. It's awesome. It's a small park just north of National Airport and you can watch the planes take off or land, depending on the wind. We had a great time...after the shock of the first plane wore off. We ate our picnic next to the Potomac and went home exhausted. What a good way to start the day!

During Rhett's nap, I found out I wasn't to be a single mom for much longer: I was getting a polygamist husband and a sister-wife! Sweet; I've always wanted one of each. My friends Rachael and Andy decided to come to visit me (yep, they've definitely got cojones for making this trip). They're expected any minute and I can't wait.



Tomorrow you can see pics of Rhett's new Sunday outfit. It's my favorite so far.

2 comments:

  1. that's the greatest video - thanks for sharing! ben and i both laughed. :) can't wait to show the kids in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are making the most of your single mom experience! I always figure at least I don't have to cook dinner! We usually rock out the chicken nuggets, mac and cheese and canned soup!
    We're definitely going to have to hit up that point place you mentioned! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete