Friday, May 28, 2010

Single Momhood

In my ward we have a lot of young women who are the daughters of single moms (11 of 23 girls). And every time I am forced to be a single mom for a long period of time, I feel for those moms. Who are we kidding; every time my husband comes home after 4 p.m., I feel for those moms. And not just feel for them, this is an intense feeling of "I could never ever do this. Ever." And yet, here I am, facing an entire weekend of being a single mom. (Too bad I'm not British because doesn't "single mum" sound so much cooler? I think so.)

This is the longest I have ever been thrust into single momhood (not liking "single mumhood" though--think I'll keep my US passport). Chuck has to go out of town to attend stake youth conference: Kirtland, Ohio watch out! We both tried to go, but it just wasn't an option with a toddler. And given his calling is on the stake level, and mine is on the ward level, he "wins." We still joke about who has the harder weekend: me at home, alone, with Rhett, or Chuck with 140 youth for three days? Still undecided.

I thought maybe I'd be strong enough to visit my friend Rachael in North Carolina, but can I drive five hours alone? Leaving D.C. on a holiday weekend? I'm just not woman enough to do it. When it can take three hours to go 40 miles, well, let's just say I like my hair on my head, not on the floor of my car, thank-you-very-much.

So now I'm faced with an entire weekend alone. With a two-year-old. As much as I love that little boy, this is my ultimate mom challenge. I did find some fun things going on and things I've wanted to do with Rhett, so that's promising. Here's to hoping I'll survive.

3 comments:

  1. You'll be fine. Think of Mom when I left her alone for a full year three times during my USMC career. When I went to Viet Nam, Brian was only 10 weeks old, and Mom survived. The last time I went overseas for a year she had two teenagers and Emily and you as well. Keep positive, and you'll enjoy the weekend!!! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT?! dad actually commented? what. you are so lucky - i don't think i've ever gotten a comment from either one of them. :) although dad did call me yesterday to verbally comment on my blog. which was nice. funny, though.

    and, yes, i'll agree with dad. you can do it and you'll be fine. you might even enjoy it. wish i was there, though, to enjoy it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you'll live, it's only 48 hours. seriously chuck has it worse for sure. how many of those 140 youth can he put to bed around 7:00 pm and have a few hours to himself? (the answer is none!) put rhett down, find a good book and bust out the skinny cows. enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete