Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Thoughts on Aging

Reasons why I am feeling old:

1. The Radio. I don't listen to music on the radio anymore. In the mornings, it's a morning talk show and in the evenings, it's NPR. Sure I run with my iPod, but even then it's mostly podcasts filling my ear. I HATED when my Dad listened to call-in talk shows, but now here I am, enjoying the same thing I used to hate. I do listen to music when I'm making dinner, cleaning during nap times, or in the need for a Broadway sing-a-long. It's just the same music I listened to in the 90s.

2. The iPod. When the Laurels were recently at my house they informed me that I had an ancient iPod, and they laughed hysterically at it. My retort was, "Hey. I know it came from 2003, but what do I care? It still fits my music and it works fine. Why would I upgrade just because Apple wants me to? Not gonna do it." I think the Laurels should be happy that I even have an iPod and that I know how to use it. It's more than I can say about my cell phone.

3. The Hyper. I can't remember the last time I was "hyper." I was taking one of my Young Women home from mutual the other night and she was telling me about a day when she was totally hyper. I was cracking up inside, remembering my own 14-year-old self who was frequently hyper. But this 32 year old? Not so much. Do you remember the last time you were hyper? When do you think we stop being hyper? Personally, I'm not at all sad to see that go. The thought of being hyper now is soooo draining.

4. The Grey Hair. I'm getting it. Awesome, right?

6 comments:

  1. 1. we have no clue on any radio stations around here. all we listen to is npr. and i love it.

    2.the ipod. i know less than you.

    3. The Hyper. cracks me up. i'll let my kids fill in that void for me.

    4. not there yet. i want a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time with getting older as well. Especially since I am the youngest in my family, youngest cousin on the Galbraith side- I'm used to be 'little'. At school I have a hard time taking advice from my student on using technology, etc. It makes me feel like the 55 year old teacher I would make fun of!

    PS- I can't remember the last time I was hyper either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate to all of these.

    The radio stations out here STINK. I actually listen to Christian radio stations out here because they are way better than the others. And I can't listen to any radio stations that I actually want to listen to long conversations or "talk" on because my kids are constantly talking to me and asking questions, so I just get frustrated if I'm trying to listen to the radio and have them interrupting. So I decided I should listen to my kids instead. sigh.

    My ipod is ancient too and I've had kids make fun of it. The other day the Beehives were over at my house and trying to find some music to listen to from mine and Todd's ipods. Let's just say that they couldn't find anything that they even knew, let alone wanted to listen to. And let's also be honest and say that I have no desire to listen to any of the artists that they were asking if I had :-)

    My hyper self has been retired quite a few years and the grey hairs are multiplying and replenishing on my head at an astonishing rate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH that is the WORST thing about going back to my roots, I can TOTALLY see all the grey hair that used to be a bit more camouflage. SERIOUSLY.

    As for hyper, Hmmmm.....probably on some girls trip, many moons ago. AND......thank goodness I have an iphone, cause my nano is so old school, I'm sure!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this.

    1. I only have two stations in the car that I get reception and feel like listening to. AM NPR (talk all the time) and FM NPR (classical during the day, news in the 4-7PM hrs). I remember the same thing about my dad. funny how that is.

    2. I do have a newer iPod but my playlists are total randomness. I mostly listen to books and podcasts. and use it to play white noise for the baby while out of town visiting family.

    2.5 I'm still trying to figure out how texting works. shhh.

    3. hyper. he he. the only time I get hyper is playing board games with my siblings very late at night on our few times a year get togethers. but that is easily mistaken for overstimulated exhaustion. maybe it's the same thing?!?

    4. I haven't found any on me yet. Matt has a plethora but he also has 4 years on me. He still fantasizes that his hair will turn all white instead of just grey. hee hee.

    PS I saw this clock and baby onesie in this cool catalog and instantly thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ew, erin, you are old. glad i'm not. and glad i still have no grey. + i am totally hip cuz i know how to write like this. word. lol!

    ReplyDelete