Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Sports I Love and Why

I don't like watching sports. I like playing them even less. Alas, I married a man who loves watching sports. All sports. Yes, he'll even watch golf and poker (no comments on the sport status of poker. It's on ESPN so I'm counting it one for now). However, I must confess, that I, too, have some that I'll watch or follow.

(1) Football. That's easy. It's only once a week. TiVo makes it go fast. Downside is that Chuck's team (the Redskins, for obvious reason) is really bad. But I know most of the rules, so that makes it tolerable for me.

(2) NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. I don't like watching these games, especially the last two minutes when all they do is foul each other on purpose. But I do love picking teams and filling out a bracket! Look at all of those things I can either circle or cross-out! List lovers of the world, UNITE! Oh yeah, uh, Go Utes.

(3) Hockey. I can't stand watching it. It's too fast and they just look sloppy. (I know, I know, they're not. They're incredible athletes and highly skilled. But why does it have to look like they're not?) However, our local team, the Capitals, has the best player in the NHL, Alex Ovechkin. This Russian boy is just adorable. He plays as if he actually enjoys playing. You know, as in, he'd play if he made no dollars per year, nevermind his millions. I like that. Plus he wears outfits like this: aviator sunglasses, black bomber jacket, white pants, furry boots. Furry boots?! Love it.


(4) Golf. And why? One name: Phil Mickelson. Now don't go thinking I'm a fair-weather fan. Nope. Growing up I lived about seven houses away from a girl named Amy. Amy was a couple of years old than I and was a cheerleader (!). My friends and I thought she was soooo cool and soooo beautiful; she was both of these things. She and her mom taught dance classes in their house and we took them. I think I even wore her cheer outfit one year for Halloween. Anyway, that girl named Amy? Yeah, her married name is Amy Mickelson. That's right. The neighborhood girl is now the wife of Phil. Because of this, I feel a kinship to him and always, always root for him. This totally minimizes my "Bacon Number." And now, because you know me, your Bacon Number is thereby minimized too. (Ha.)

2 comments:

  1. very interesting.

    it's a good thing you like some sports so you can enjoy some of them with chuck.

    what would you say chuck's favorite sports are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I married into a family of AVID golfers, while Preston is a bit fair weathered about actually PLAYING, we never miss a tournament, and I'm with you GO PHIL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete