Friday, May 14, 2010

The Foodees: A Retropackle


Three years ago, my sister and I created the recipe blog, The Foodees. I'm pretty sure it was Emily's idea, but I was on board immediately. The name was a take on the word foodie (obviously) but with two e's since we're named Emily and Erin. From the beginnings, we wanted it to be a place for us and friends to share our favorite recipes. Three years later it still is.

I find it to be an amazing resource for excellent recipes and have tried nearly half of them (145 of 303). If I try only seven more, I can say that I have tried more than I haven't. Oooh, that might be a new goal. What are some of my favorites? Well, I am currently loving Megan's Broccoli with Bow Ties as well as this Tomato and Chicken Pasta. We make and freeze these Meatballs so that they're always on hand for spaghetti. Becky's Amish Oatmeal Pie was yummy, as was Deanna's Apple Crumb Pie. Daniel's Alfredo Sauce has become a staple in our house. I love this bread of emily's. And Becky's Monkey Bread might be the best thing ever created, but because of how deliciously bad for you it is, we limit it to only at conference time. Finally, these tortillas were so satisfying to make and yummy to eat.

Of course some recipes haven't made our list of things we would try again, but there are so few of those. That's the beauty of the Foodees--it's all good!

Some Foodees statistics: I have posted the most recipes (89), Becky is second with a not-too-shabby 45, and emily comes in third with 37. Entrees make up most of the posts (83 of them). Desserts come in second with 59 posts, and Breads are third with 34 posts.

New posts have certainly dropped off. While this saddens me, of course, I'm not too worked up about it. Definitely not worked up enough to do anything about it. I'll continue to post and hope others do too when it's convenient for them. It's taken me three years to try half of the recipes; maybe in another three years I'll worry about the lack of new posts. And just to confirm my stat-nerdiness, here's a graph showing the frequency of new posts. Notice the upswing in late 2008? That was the contest--pretty awesome, eh?

Anyway, to those of you who are member of our Foodees community, keep up the good work. Post when you find something good and when you have the time. To those of you who aren't, well, take a look. I'm sure you'll find something good for dinner.

P.S. Anyone other than Chuck know the movie reference found in this post's title?

4 comments:

  1. what a fun post! i still love foodees and tho i may not post as often, i still use it every week.

    no idea on the movie reference. but i'm sure you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was inspired by the broccoli with bow ties link. That was our dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No clue on the movie reference, but I love the foodees website! It really has the best recipes.
    There's just always been something that has confused me...do you guys take your own pictures that are shown in the posts? The photos always look professional and my food presentation NEVER looks that good. I need answers Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the foodees. shamefully i am one of those who does not post often but i like to frequently try recipes that are available. i pledge to try to post more and just fyi, i always post my own pics that i take of my food.

    ReplyDelete