Monday, September 20, 2010

Weekend Update

Because I work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I still feel like I have a weekend. But it's even better because it's always a four-day weekend. If only I could get Chuck on the same schedule.

Our great weekend started on Friday with a great run. (We made a pit stop at Giant; I love when I can make my runs double as grocery shopping.) The weather has been really beautiful and the mornings have been refreshingly cool. You will hear NO complaining from me about this stuff. Anyway, it was chilly enough where Rhett needed a hat. This is how he chose to wear it for about half of the run.  What a weirdo.


After running, Rhett and I went to see butterflies. Some gardens near us had an exhibit on them and it closed Sunday, so it was nearly our last chance. I'm so glad we went! Rhett was initially unsure (see picture), but as long as he didn't have to be too close to them, he was fine. And he got to see some great caterpillars as well as turtles and fish when we walked around the park after visiting the butterflies.




During dinner prep, Chuck and I used our new parenting trick of giving Rhett flour as a toy. Again, it worked like a charm. And we got to apply the lesson we learned last time we did this: no glass bowls!


Saturday started out with another great run for me (and me alone). Then it was a quick get ready as we hied ourselves to Virginia. Let me tell you something about Virginia, we Marylanders don't like going there. This is okay because Virginians don't like coming to Maryland. I still haven't figured out why this is, but it just is. So if we're going, you know it must be a big event. And it was: I bought one of these with some leftover birthday money. It's kind of like a Cricut, but (in my opinion) just a bit cooler. I don't have to buy cartridges, but rather can use images and fonts straight from my own computer. I'm a bit afraid of it, so I need to find time to read the users' manual. But after that, well, freezer-paper-stenciled-things will soon be coming out my ears.

After picking up the machine, we headed to the Washington Capitals' (D.C.'s hockey team, just in case) practice arena to watch the guys skate. Of course we couldn't not buy Rhett his own jersey. Unfortunately we weren't able to get the jerseys signed. Maybe another time.


After Rhett's "nap" (another post for another day when I'm not so angry), we walked Bruno to a local park and played and then came home and played with our behind-the-house neighbor. They have a son who is three weeks older than Rhett and I have hopes they'll be BFFs. They seemed to have a good time. Then came dinner. Whenever I make these sandwiches I always splurge and get crab chips. These things are my manna from heaven (along with Hot Tamales and Air Heads and Cherry Clans). If any of you come to visit me, I pledge to always have some for you to try.


Once Rhett was in bed, Chuck and I went downstairs for more Daria watching. Seriously, Daria is one of the best shows to ever be on television and now one of the best shows available on Netflix. I'm not kidding. I love her. I love every character in the show. I think she's the girl I'd be in high school if I were to suddenly be 15 again. (Note: She's not who I was when I was 15 because I wasn't that self-confident. I wish I could have been her. But I'm definitely her now, just 18 years older and not in high school.) One of the episodes we watched last night included one of my favorite all-time Daria quotes. You can watch the episode here and fast-forward to minute 11:45 to catch Kevin saying it. It's probably not that funny to anyone else, but it's one of the rare movie quotes that is almost always in my head and I'm constantly saying it, but NO ONE else gets it.  At least Chuck does now.  Already my shoulders feel a bit lighter.  (Due to my research in writing this post, it looks like you can watch every single Daria episode via the magic of the internet.  Aren't you lucky.)


During the Daria watching, I got some much needed crafting and organizing done. My pajama drawer and running clothes drawer are in much better shape now, thank you very much. And crafting-wise, I did some brainstorming on gifts for family for Christmas and even started on some felt food.

Church on Sunday was as good as any Sunday church. When I came home there were real people looking at the house next door. This house has been vacant for over two years, so Chuck and I get excited every time someone is looking at it. And even more exciting is they seem to be our age! I didn't see any kids, but still, people! Next door! Real ones! This sighting was followed by another of Rhett's "naps" and then dinner with friends and dessert with Relief Society. Man I love weekends.

6 comments:

  1. Totally jealous of your new fancy machine - I've seen a lot of things they can do and I totally want one! Can't wait to see what all you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the pic of daria rules. you may have to send some stencils my way made with that machine of yours. i'm not kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. angie--when you send me money, i'll send you stencils. this baby wasn't cheap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that first picture is pretty darn great! and it sounded like a pretty good weekend - all except for those darn "naps" that aren't.

    and i can't wait to see all that you do with the silhouette thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a LOVELY weekend. And YAY I'm sure we'll become Daria fans too---when we have Netflix----THANKS for the comment....


    AND Yes, agreed, the shelves may be a bit of a problem, but what if they can't reach em??? Then they'd still look lovely for a year or too, right?!

    Thanks for the comments, I do appreciate the input.

    Carry on and happy "crafting" with your new FANCY "toy"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to explain to people from out of the area the love/hate relationship between Marylanders and Virginians and they just don't get it. Jack some time says we should move to Virginia and I can't believe he would even consider it! Also, Daria! Ha, I totally loved that show. I will have to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete