Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Daytime TV

In college I watched a lot of daytime television. I never was into soaps, but I sure watched more than my fair share of talk shows. Ricki Lake, Jenny Jones, Sally Jesse, Maury Povich (never could get into Jerry Springer nor Oprah): I watched them all. These days only Maury Povich and Oprah survive, although Oprah is done this year. Now, I only watch daytime TV during Rhett's naps once my chores are done (and generally only as background noise while I work on laundry or sew).

Thankfully I have graduated from these types of programs. I just can't make myself watch them. I mean, how many women in America can there be that don't know who their baby daddy be? (If you haven't seen Maury in awhile, this is all he does. Every. Single. Episode. "Roger, you ARE the father!")

Who are the network executives catering to by only putting on soap operas and judge shows during nap time? Do people watch these shows anymore?  What they should do instead is replay anything on Bravo. Seriously. I would work a lot faster if I knew old episodes of Project Runway or Top Chef were on. This fall season got a bit better with "The Price is Right" on at 2. Although, if yesterday was any indication, they've already changed that to "Let's Make a Deal." Really? Really?

Anyway, what would you like to see during naps?

Finally, are you watching Modern Family? It's on ABC on Wednesdays (9 p.m. Eastern, 8 p.m. Mountain). It is the best show on TV right now. I'm not kidding. You can watch the pilot on Hulu or catch all of season 1 with Netflix. Chuck and I laugh out loud nearly the entire show. It really is that good.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how I miss TV!!!!! The only English speaking show that is consistently on is Desperate Housewives, and as horrible as that show is, I am becoming addicted to it! We can't watch Hulu or NBC.com or anything over here! They have firewalls which block it. AGHHHHH! We are currently trying to see if itunes will work, but you have to pay for them.

    This whole tv thing could have been a deal breaker had I known about it before we moved.

    So glad someone else loves Modern Family! I agree- it is the best show! I still laugh thinking about the scene last year where Mitchell and Cameron were talking about the friend they met in Africa who they sent clothes to, and then it showed their friend as a warlord wearing a "Hilary 2008" shirt. (Wow- that really won't be funny unless you know what scene I am talking about).

    What do I do during naptime?? You are looking at it- I surf the web and my friend's blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I. LOVE. Modern Family. Hands down BEST show, in fact almost the only one worth watching!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...Jenny Jones and Ricki Lake....that was a long time ago. I loved those shows. I watch everything on hulu. Our only tv is in the basement, and I am rarely down there. I just watch my laptop. I've been trying to convince J to get rid of our cable. If only we could just pay for ESPN and nothing else. College football runs our life:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, you and daytime tv. funny. :) good to hear you've "graduated."

    what would i like to see during naptime? nothing good because then i would be frustrated that i didn't get to watch it! ha.

    but you know that i love modern family - the 2 episodes i've seen. i just checked abc.com and they show the episodes. sweeeet.

    ReplyDelete