Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Battle of the Sexes

Last weekend, we were invited by some friends to join them and others in a game of "Battle of the Sexes."

I'll be upfront about the outcome: the men won. But I won't hesitate to mention that this win was bolstered from a boost of, "You went out and bought your pregnant wife a bottle of pickles at 2 a.m. Advance to the end." The only help we women got was, "You did all of the work on the Christmas cards. Advance one space." I think I'll be getting my own pickles from now on, thank you very much. If the Christmas cards are that much easier, I'll gladly trade with Chuck.

The game works by splitting into two teams: men v. women. The men are asked questions that the women should know. And the women are asked questions that the men should know. Of course, this should was determined by the game's creators.

Here is a sample of the questions we read that night. Starting with those read to the women (again, so those that the men should know):
How many quarters are there in a hockey game?
What is the standard par for the shortest hole in golf?
What is WD-40?
What is Mach 3? (Hint: It is NOT a razor.)
In what sport is there a play called, "The Statue of Liberty?"
What is Al Pacino's character's name in "Scarface?"
What are the standard measurement units for nails in construction?
What does "DOHC" stand for in the automotive industry?
What does "trips to win" mean in poker?
Where is Jack Daniels made?
What goes in a screwdriver? (You know, the alcoholic drink, not the tool)
What is the distance from home base to the pitcher's mound in baseball?

And here are those read to the men (so those the women should know):
How many tablespoons in a cup?
What is Audrey Hepburn's character's name in "Breakfast at Tiffany's?"
In sewing, what is the standard seam size?
What is the attachment to a blow dryer that is meant to increase curls and volume called?
What is Snow White's sister's name?
In fashion, what is a mule?
In what sport do Kristi Yamaguchi and Oksana Baiul participate?
Who does the voice at the beginning of the "Days of our Lives" soap opera?
What are the names of the boys who played the Hardy Boys?
To what does 99% pure refer?
On what side are the buttons on a woman's shirt?
What is the procedure called where a baby is removed from the uterus via an incision in the stomach? (Maybe this would get frat boys, but a bunch of married, Mormon men? Sooo easy.)

Mostly we spent the night laughing at the questions. The men thought the women's questions were ridiculously easy, while we women balked at what was given to the men. Overall, we had a great time. But being out sans Rhett...that's pretty much a given.

If we play it again, I think it would be fun to write our own questions. Suggestions?

P.S. I struggle with the movie and TV questions given to both genders. But thanks to Chuck's tutelage, I did awesome in the sports categories. And of the above questions, I did only slightly better on the questions I was supposed to know. I'll admit I didn't get the seam size one (so embarrassing), but I was thinking standard seams in quilting, which are smaller than that of regular, pattern sewing.

4 comments:

  1. make it 2 out of three.

    crazy questions! i don't think either ben or i would have done too super. but i do think ben would have won!

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny think is I was just at the store and I walked past the pickles and grabbed a jar, just because they looked good. And I NEVER eat pickles. So to me, that would be a valid way to win the game. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, so fun! That game can be really hard! I've played before and thought, what? Who knows this stuff?!!
    Yes, you should totally make up your own fun questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha, that was great. GOOD JOB remembering all the questions! My contribution was the Statue of Liberty play...other than that...Mach 3 razor??? hahahah.

    ReplyDelete