Friday, February 11, 2011

Winter Begone!

I know I've recently read very similar posts on friends' blogs, so sorry if this is a repeat for you. But I can't take it any longer.

In my younger days I would proudly exclaim that winter was my second favorite season (behind fall, of course). I loved Utah's snows, sweaters, fleece, and all winter outdoor activities. Loved. But all that has changed.

There's just something about a Maryland winter, especially a Maryland winter as a parent. In Maryland, it takes a long time for roads and sidewalks to be cleared of snow. Remember that storm we missed when we were in Utah two weeks ago (the one that dropped only 8")? Yeah, I'm just now seeing sidewalks in many places. That means the family walks with Bruno and morning runs with Rhett have been put on hold. It does not make me happy.

In addition, the hype over each little snowflake that falls is ridiculous. If only 3" of snow are predicted, the area starts to break down, even before the storm hits. It's all anyone can talk about, including Chuck. It drives me bonkers. And even when the snow falls, it's wet and heavy and not lovely and light like a western snow. Our snow would definitely be a different eskimo word when compared to Utah's snow.

It goes without saying that people here don't know how to drive in it. I get it; they get very little each year and therefore have little experience. Even my own sweet Chuck will admit his inexperience in driving in the white stuff. But because I live in a very populated area, there are still far too many cars on the road. Did you hear what that 8" storm did to some drivers? 12-hour commutes home. Having to return to your office and sleep there. It wasn't pretty.

In doing my research for this post, I checked my own local weather. At that time, it was 23 degrees, but felt like 12! Because of Maryland's humidity, it's a very biting cold and it hurts in a way Utah's winter never did. And this winter has been not only unusually cold (I've been wearing my down jacket since before Thanksgiving), but windy. Cold + humid + wind = Worst. Weather. Ever.

Further research from "Find Your Spot" revealed that I should move to Tacoma, Washington. I'm down! Chuck's salary would be slightly lower, but home costs are too. Of course I probably wouldn't find another part-time mathematical statistician position...not sure how I feel about that. (I just searched for all math stat jobs and of the eight, six were in D.C. The other two were Kodiak, AK. I'm just not that tough.) But Washington state is really beautiful. We'd have access to the beach, mountains, rain forest, and all the "Twilight" sights (kidding, soooo kidding). My second choice place was St. George. Well, not bad. At least it's warm there. But third is Kent, Washington. I'm seeing a pattern here.

One nice thing did happen to us this winter: After our Utah trip, I knew I'd be coming back to a house where snow had yet to be shoveled. Just thinking about it made me tired. However, we were greatly pleased to see that someone had shoveled paths from the driveway to the house. It definitely made bringing in luggage so much easier. Hooray (and much thanks!) for secret service people!

So here's to hoping the groundhog is correct and that spring lasts until September.

5 comments:

  1. here, here sista!

    i'm all for you moving to washington. you could find some job. . . i'm sure. st. george? that's weird.

    wind does suck. sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed the same pattern in my life - I had no problems with winters growing up in Idaho. They were fine. But now, as an adult, I have come to really despise winter altogether. And no, it doesn't help that I have spent the last 9 years living in places with tons of snowfall, tons of ice and the nasty humidity that makes the cold cut right through you. Todd makes fun of me all the time and reminds me that there are really only a couple of places on earth that meet my requirements for weather, and we can't afford to live there :-)

    I'm sure hoping spring comes soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't try to pretend that you don't LOVE Twilight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should get together and have a little "I hate winter" party. We'll crank up the heat in my house and wear shorts and t-shirts and have slushies and talk more about Maryland winter suckage and watch a surfing movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took that quiz...I need to move to the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC. Or, Charleston, SC. Either sounds great to me!

    ReplyDelete