Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Kid is Weird

I realize that everyone thinks their own kids are strange in funny ways. And I'm sure they are. Here are Rhett's latest weird-isms:

He is obsessed with signs. Obsessed. Every sign we pass, he wants to know what it says. We were out running (!) Monday morning and at one point I had to stop, turn around, and go back and explain to him what the sign meant. (It was a "no left turn" sign. Very exciting.) But seriously, he wants to know them all. And when you live in a fairly urbanized area, signs are everywhere and if I don't know exactly what sign he's talking about, oh boy. Can you say "breakdown?"

Also, he's very aware of what scares him. He'll run around all day pretending to be an abominable snowman or a monster, but this page? Oooh, better skip it if you know what's good for you. Because this "I" page is scary to the little man. Is it Icabod's face? Who knows!


And this book? We're not even allowed to read any of it. Ever.


Finally, he loves this headlamp. Loves. He puts it on and goes exploring. He's definitely getting his own for his birthday.


I have to say that while yes, we hoped to have a 9-month old at this point rather than a negative-six-month old, but man, am I ever glad that I was able to spend this much time with just Rhett. I love love love this age and can't imagine having to share him with an infant. And just think, when this new baby is my favorite age, Rhett will be in kindergarten, so I won't have to share him/her either! Sometimes there is good in the bad. Who knew?!

4 comments:

  1. but definitely awesomely weird. :) he's great!

    i really liked driving with him as he would alert me to the sign "deer crossing"! what a cool kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily's right, he is a cool kid!

    And I think you're exactly right that the timing for your children is perfect. I had Isabel when Lillee was only 14 months old and I lost a lot of enjoying their first 1-2 years because I was juggling 3 kids age 3 and under. If I have one regret about having my kids so close in age, it is that you don't get that special time with each one. Oh well, I can't change it now and they've survived thus far :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's interesting about the signs. syd does sort of the same thing but with random people's names. we'll be shopping in the grocery store and she'll ask me what everyone's name is. when they have a name tag i can tell her but if not, well sometimes i have to make something up so she stops asking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a pretty great age/stage......I LOVED it too, with both boys, and I'm assuming Emery will be the same.........as for weird, NAH, he's totally a BOY, brings back memories for me with mine.

    ReplyDelete