Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Conception Story: Chapter 2, Starting Again

In August of 2009, when Rhett was about 1.5, we thought that we’d start trying again. September, October, November all went by without me having a period (and without positive pregnancy tests). No periods, means no ovulation, means not even a chance for pregnancy.  I was hesitant to call my doctor because I had heard that couples should try for at least a year before getting help. And yet, here I was at four months already complaining. However, the doc assured me that people try for a year with 12 attempts. I was at four months with zero attempts. So he saw me.

We started Clomid immediately. What is it like being on Clomid? Well, at least I felt like I was doing something towards conceiving. That's about the only positive. You take the pills for five days. Then you have to start taking the ovulation predictor kits to time intercourse. Then you have to go get your blood tested to see if you ovulated. And when it doesn't work, go back to the doc for another prescription. Let me be blunt: Is there anything worse than the slap-in-the-face period when you're hoping you're pregnant? Not much. It's a cruel, cruel joke. And these Clomid-induced periods? The first one I had was the first time I experienced PMS (I know, I know, poor me). That first day of PMS I swore Chuck and I were getting a divorce. The next day both of us were like, "What was that?!" The second time around, we at least knew sooner, even though it still through us for a loop. I know that other methods of helping people to conceive are much, much worse. But this was just so unexpected that it was hard (well, hard for us). I can't imagine that I would handle a more-intense conceiving regimen well.

Chapter 3 tomorrow...

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, I did not know you had been trying for so long nor havign to endure Clomid. I've heard bad things about Clomid, but I also know several people who were able to conceive with it so I guess it can't be all bad.

    I'm on the edge of my seat....come on chapter 3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sista! I currently have a hate-relationship with Clomid. We are actually taking a break from it for a couple months because I am feeling so awful on it and lot of pain. Isn't it amazing how unromantic, painful, scientific, depressing, horrible, worrying and just plain awful trying to "conceive" can be?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am glad you are pregnant! I hope you have been feeling well and all.

    I can't run anymore, but would love to go for Monday walks with you when it warms up and the trails clear off. Knowing you you are probably hard-core and want to keep running as long as you can, so I understand if walks sound lame. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for the three of you. Rhett will love his little brother or sister. I can't wait for chapter 3.

    ReplyDelete