Friday, February 4, 2011

A Conception Story: Chapter 5, Pregnancy

I'm not sure if it's because I was pumped with more hormones or maybe just because I'm older, but this pregnancy has been a bit harder than that with Rhett. For starters, my nasal cavity is continually clogged. I have blown my nose more times than I can even describe. Also, the dreams! Oh the dreams. For the first five or six weeks I would wake up with a dream that got crazier each night. (The two most memorable both contained me insisting something I was wearing was appropriate. I assure you, dear readers, this is most certainly NOT the case.) Unfortunately, I've had no dreams announcing the name of this fetus (sorry, but no Ms. Mullet this time).

And I've been unbelievably tired. I can't exercise because if I do, I'm so beat that I can't even take care of Rhett because I just fall asleep. I nap nearly every day and have 9 o'clock bedtimes. I experienced such tiredness with Rhett and it disappeared around 13 weeks. Here's to hoping! (Since writing this post I've passed the 13 week mark. I'm definitely still tired, but feeling better. I even ran twice with my sister when in Utah and exercised with Jillian Michaels at home on Wednesday! Too bad it's single-digit temperatures with unshoveled sidewalks here in Maryland otherwise I might try running with Rhett.)

Also, when I went off the pill, I gained about five pounds. Add these five to the couple that I've gained with this pregnancy I'm starting to be too big for my clothes. This is not what I wanted to happen at only three months. I feel gross and yucky and am already hating my body. The not being able to exercise has only made this worse.

Side note: Can I just say how excited I am to replace my entire wardrobe in about one year's time? Every time I put on any item in my current wardrobe, I just imagine trashing it because everything I own needs to be trashed. Chuck and I have been saving money to replace my wardrobe and it'll be like a mini-What-Not-to-Wear shopping spree.

I can't believe I'm going to have to be pregnant during summer. Do any of you know me during a Maryland summer? I'm miserable. And now a pregnant Maryland summer? I can't even imagine. I just picture myself sitting naked in the basement from May until I deliver. This picture may or may not include Chuck spritzing me with a spray bottle whilst feeding me a Skinny cow.

And what is it like to be pregnant after a miscarriage? I'm scared about everything. Even though I know that everything will likely be okay, I can't help but have a generally raised level of anxiety. Having doctor's appointments every one to two weeks didn't help this.

But really, all of these bad things don't matter. Chuck and I are going to have another baby. We couldn't be more thankful. In some ways, I learned a lot and in others, my doubts only increased. I can't say that I know why God gave me this challenge or why I was blessed to have it be such a relatively short one. But I can say that I am glad that it's over. Now, any boy names? I got nothing.

The End.

12 comments:

  1. Sorry that you feel so yuck and exhausted. I hear that with each pregnancy a woman gets fatter sooner. I can vouch for that. We are so happy for you guys and sorry that you had to have such a trial to reach this phase, but sounds like you handled it very well.
    Boy names suggestions: Joel, Geraldo, Chaz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I love skinny cow ice cream sandwiches. Those things are so tasty.

    Well, the good news is that the farmer's almanac says summer is supposed to be a bit cooler than normal. http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/MD/Silver%20Spring

    But I have yet to be pregnant in the summer, besides when I miscarried, so I have no idea as to how horrible it must be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very happy for you that you are pregnant! Lawson was born in September, so I had to go through the entire miserable, humid summer in CT and I hated it. I made Todd go out and buy another window air conditioner just so I could sleep (yay for a house with a.c. now!) I'll hope for a very mild summer for you :-)

    For me, the 6 years + out of our 12 years of marriage that I have spent trying and trying to get pregnant have definitely been one of, if not THE most difficult challenge for me. And like you, I have absolutely NO understanding of why I have to go through this, what I'm supposed to learn from it, or how it is beneficial for me in any way. It has been horrible and I can't wait to be able to move on to another chapter of my life and never have to deal with these issues again. Is it worth it in the end? Absolutely. I wouldn't trade my children for anything and I can't imagine my life without them. But I would certainly never choose to have this trial in my life and have to experience the pain and suffering that I have gone through (and still do).

    I hope you continue to feel better and better! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how exciting a new wardrobe :) Okay, that isn't the only thing I got from this post, a new baby is very exciting, too.

    I'm glad that you're in a good place with the pregnancy and your losses. You may feel a bit more tired just because you do have a toddler to keep up with while being pregnant this time.

    The image of you in May was awesome! Especially with Chuck spritzing you and feeding you :)

    Congratulations again, I'm very excited for you! If Rhett is near perfect, imagine
    how awesome this baby could be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what to say, what to say.

    i totally know how you feel about your body - but, remember, you are what i think is the worst part of pregnancy. the "feeling chunky" stage. where you don't totally look pregnant, just bigger. but no worries, soon you'll have a nice round pregnant belly and (hopefully) you'll feel better about yourself. i do once i pass that awkward stage. (but, by the way, you looked great in utah, so i think you're being silly!).

    i bet you are nervous with this pregnancy after having a miscarriage. but i think having frequent doc's appt's is awesome - at least you don't have to go 4 weeks wondering if everything is okay, right? that was always hard for me. well, until i could feel the babe - then the movements were enough to assure me (mostly) that all was going well.

    i'm totally excited for you, chuck, and rhett. oh rhett will be so cute as a big brother.

    names? oliver. lucy was going to be oliver benjamin if a boy. i wouldn't make you choose benjamin, though. :) ummm, what else. i like eli. and that's all i got now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. think of the positives. you'll deliver at the very beginning of august. so really you won't be prego the entire summer. three months of nasty at the most. it could always be worse.
    also, do you shop at costco? skinny cows are very affordable there (in my opinion) they are one item i don't mind buying in bulk :)

    btw, it's angie not nick commenting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, we have some eerie similarities. I had a miscarriage last Mother's day. That baby would have been born late November early December. I never had to use fertility meds but getting pregnant generally took a year or more for me. So this last one happening was very unexpected. I have been feeling the worst with this one as well which my doc so kindly said that it probably had to do with my AGE! Loved that one. I hope you are feeling better soon and that all goes well. Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the story with "us" I'm sure it's been healing on many levels for many people with the same struggles. Awareness and understanding are always a good thing. I'm so sorry you feel UCK, it's a terrible feeling. I hope it goes away QUICKLY and until then just imagine yourself in the basement with a fan eating skinny cow's while being spritzed!!!! Hang in there!
    I agree with Emily this is the WORST pregnant stage, you just feel "fat" not pregnant! And there is a BIG difference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH baby boy names......Holt........or Red, Emery was almost Red, maybe with 2 dd's...I dunno. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your story. I hope you start feeling better soon. I'm very excited for you guys. Your two little boys will be such great friends.

    As far as names... I like William, James and Jude. (Sadly I couldn't use any of them for my boys. William was taken by another Bond cousin, I could never do James for any of my boys and Jude sounds cool, but too short for our last name).
    Have you told Rhett the good news yet? One of our favorite books we got for David when Alex was born is, The First Rule of Little Brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erin! This is fantastic news. Congratulations to you and Chuck and Rhett! I'm so excited for you all. And you never know, maybe Maryland will throw us a curve ball and have a cool summer. Stranger things have been happening!

    ReplyDelete
  12. your story was very moving. I'm so happy that it's ending involves having a healthy pregnancy after all of the turmoil. and how lucky for Rhett to have a sibling!

    ReplyDelete