Monday, September 12, 2011

What We're Up To

I've turned into a regular mommy blogger. Sigh. Sorry. Hopefully I'll soon return to the drivel I usually type.

I've completed my first week of "mom to two." I know it doesn't sound like much, but it is to me. Of course I know that I have it easy. I just have to get to lunch time and then get Rhett down, and Chuck comes home before Rhett awakes. I really am aware of my blessings--believe me. And thankfully, the mornings have been the easiest times around here. Even with the rainy days, Rhett's been pretty content and didn't seem to develop too much cabin fever. Ollie is getting into a semi-routine at night: eating around 10 p.m., again at 2 a.m., and then again around 6 a.m., which means only one nighttime feeding. Like I said, it could be much, much harder.

In addition to all that help I get from Chuck, the second child is easier for me in many respects. First, I am much more confident in this parenting thing. Second, I knew to expect the loss of some of the things that make me "me." For example, the schedules. I love schedules and routines, but with a new baby in the house, they don't exist. I also love feeling accomplished, but that's achieved now when I brush my teeth 15 minutes before Chuck gets home. Also, I love my evenings with Chuck...and only Chuck. Sadly, we've had to share them with an infant. But again, I know they'll return. As I am prepared for this loss of "me-ness" I am better-equipped to handle it now.

I am struggling with feeling like things aren't getting done. You know, like dusting or sweeping. But that's about the hardest thing for me now. Wait, that's not true. The hardest thing is the crazy acne I have on my neck and chin. It just doesn't seem to want to clear up. Then there is the persistent tendinitis.  I kind-of ran with my mom once while she was here, but had my first real solo run Saturday morning. It was slow, painful, and jiggly, but it was a run. We're trying to figure out when a good time for a regular run is and aside from early in the morning (which Chuck is not a fan of due to safety issues), we think that as soon as Chuck gets home from work could be okay. Hopefully weather will cooperate. If not, I'll be running with my umbrella. (Can you imagine? I do love the umbrella almost that much.)

Chuck continues to be a champ. He helped me make the switch for the boys' room on Sunday morning and we're getting the house almost as organized as I'd like. I feel like we don't have as much "couple time" and I miss that though.

Saturday Rhett and I went on a date to a small local theater for their "A Year with Frog and Toad." Oh my. Rhett was adorable. Watching him clap after each musical number was the cutest thing ever. I was dying. The play itself was pretty cute and Rhett and I both enjoyed it. We also loved the McDonald's ice cream on the way home.

Ollie has been seen taking rides on "Goldie." Isn't he a fine-looking horseman? Oh, I love this baby.


  1. I LOVE that you and little Rhett went to the theatre together! So awesome. And that play. Adorable. I've been meaning to ask you about the theatre class as well... M is always acting up and... well, acting. So depending on the day, I'm for it! It's better to get the drama out elsewhere... ;)And yes, even just 7 hours of day can be the longest hours of your life!!!!

    But seriously, those boys are cute! And your tough life of 7 hours per day of solo parenthood... I'll let you lament only because you're my friend. ;) At least you recognize how blessed you are!

  2. ugh, i totally commented on this, but it didn't like it i guess because it's not here.

    i think something you mentioned really sums up many aspects of parenthood. that watching rhett enjoy (clapping!) the musical was practically better than the musical itself. we find so much joy through our children's experiences.