Friday, June 22, 2012

Beating the Dead Horse (plus the winner!)

I'm pretty sure you're hoping I'll stop writing about this. Even I am unsure why it's so intriguing to me. I guess it comes down to this: I thought Hatfields and McCoys were common knowledge. That's it. But I'm totally wrong! (Just like my co-worker who seems to think that everyone has heard of the Donner party.) There seems to be no pattern regarding who knows it and who doesn't. Did you go to college? Did you grow up in Utah? Are you a stay-at-home mom? Are you male? Doesn't matter. Nobody knows (except for the couple of us that do).

Anyway, the take home message is that Hatfields and McCoys are just a bit of trivia. Some people know about them and some people don't. The end. It's really not that interesting (unless you're me).

But what might be interesting is the stuff that you know that I don't! I mean, there has to be something, right? Kidding, I know there's tons of stuff I don't know, I just don't know it. And how does one go about finding out what general knowledge are they missing? I can't very well sit down with someone and say, "Tell me what you know." Duh. I guess I have to be patient, make many friends, and talk to those friends. And then I just have to listen and learn. Something is bound to come up.

And now for the winner...Congratulations to...Allen! But also a congrats to Purvi as the wife of Allen (yes, AllEn, not AllAn, sorry Sandra!), because she'll end up enjoying the prize as well. (Purvi, if you have something in mind, let me know! Otherwise I'll just surprise you. Which probably means something for little Saha.)

Have a happy weekend. Send us happy thoughts and pray we don't melt. Because it's a real possibility with this weather.

3 comments:

  1. I finally got around to asking Marc last night and he knew of neither incident.

    The Donner party...! Oh you have to know about that! 5th grade Utah history class in elementary school. That and as far as traversing-our-young- nation stories go... it's fascinating AND creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a second I got excited... but I've learned a couple new things this week. You should do this again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo Hoo! Thanks for giving a couple of chances to win. I will leave it up to you want to make, just keep in mind that Saha is obsessed with the color red and loves anything Dora, Elmo, elephants, or monkeys!

    ReplyDelete