Thursday, July 12, 2012

Update: RHETT

Rhett, oh Rhett. How I love this little four-year-old. I really really love this age, except when he's performing his plethora of daily breakdowns. For the most part, he is so expressive and happy and fun to be around. And now that he's not napping, we can do more "big" excursions. I love it. I love his wonder and excitement over the lamest things. It's so awesome.

A couple of weeks ago he went to Vacation Bible School. The first day, Chuck had to bribe him with a crown and dessert from Burger King. (Why Burger King? Who knows. We've NEVER taken him there.) But otherwise he did great. He was most excited for the crafts and his favorite song was "Stand Firm." It's at the same church where he'll go to preschool in the fall and so it's been fun to see him go. What a big kid. (This is a clip from his favorite song.)

He's still doing quiet time, but apparently Chuck's had a hard time getting him to stay there. The solution? Walkie-talkies, of course! That way, when he needs something, he doesn't have to come out of the room, he just radioes Chuck to talk to him. Since I work from home on Wednesdays, I get to hear some of these conversations. Oh this kid. So dang funny. Once he radioed to say, "[weird noise.]" Then, "Mom, do you know what that was? It was a dinosaur laughing." It's such a fun thing to talk to your child on a walkie talkie. I highly recommend it.

And the badges! Rhett's doing great. He makes his bed, puts away laundry, is starting to learn how to pump his legs while on the swings, makes phone calls (to me!), takes nature walks, etc. He earned his first badge on Sunday (the bedroom one), and he's completed a lot of the requirements for the others. The one we had/have the hardest time with? Teeth brushing. But when we tell him it's either brush your teeth OR eat only water, carrots, and cheese the next day (things that don't hurt the teeth too much if not brushed out), he quickly changes his mind.


I know I'm excited for him to go to preschool in the fall. But at the same time, I'm going to miss this little guy! His preschool is MWF, the exact days I'm home. So I'll only see him in the afternoons. But it's okay. I won't miss him too much to keep him home.

This was my favorite thing he said yesterday as I worked from home: "Oh no! All the dinosaurs are bitting [sic] the dust! Look how many are laying on the ground because they bit the dust." Love this boy.

Oh, this is one of his requirements: memorize one poem. He did one better by memorizing two poems. I won't tell you that I had to bribe him with ice cream at 9:00 a.m. to get him to repeat them for the video camera.


In case you don't speak upside-down-four-year-old, here are the translations:
"My beard grows to my toes.
I never wears no clothes.
I wraps my hair
Around my bare
And down the road I goes."

"A peanut sat on a railroad track,
its heart was all aflutter.
The 5:15 came rushing by...
Toot toot! Peanut butter."

2 comments:

  1. The last poem is my favorite. He's so sing-songy with it!

    Also, where is your original merit badges post? I would like to be able to reference it. Hyperlink? Thanks!

    Rehtt's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that kid is just such a character. he's so great.

    and yay that he got a badge!!!

    ReplyDelete