Friday, October 1, 2010

Getting My Hair Done

(I have so many thoughts on this subject so excuse me if this is just a bunch of ramblings.)

This week I had an opportunity to get my hair styled for free (normally $50-$75---who actually does this?!). A friend-of-a-friend is training to become a stylist at a salon. She already has her license, but the salon requires she do more. Anyway, part of that training is doing stylings and then later, cuts and colors.

So I spent two hours getting a nice wash, dry, style, and then my make-up done. While I enjoyed being pampered (and the stylist was incredibly complimentary, which was really nice), it just confirmed to me one thing: I HATE hair. Hate it. Right now my hair care routine is this: run (so any hair "doing" from the previous day is undone by sweat and humidity), shower, and put in ponytail. This may or may not include a wash. More than likely not. It's just not important to me so I don't make time to do it.

I don't like dealing with hair care professionals either. (I like them, just not having to work with them.) I feel silly sitting in some chair with a person who doesn't know me at all. Someone who doesn't realize that I wash my hair very infrequently and doesn't know that most times I don't even bother drying it. And really, let's be honest. These people are generally artist-minded individuals. My right-brain-less brain can't communicate very well with them. Yes, yes, I know it's nice to meet people who are different from you, but this is hard for me. I have to sit in a chair for two hours and talk to someone with whom I have next-to-nothing in common?! So, uh, how about that weather?

As an aside, our weather yesterday was CrAzY! We got about 3-4 inches of rain. During which there was a fire alarm pulled at work. That's right; it's pouring rain and we're supposed to go outside and stand by the flagpole? You've got to be kidding. Fortunately, I had only walked 40 steps before we were told we could come back inside. Unfortunately I was already soaked after those 40 steps. How could a fire even exist in this weather? Turns out it was a prank. I was laughing. No, really, I was.

I guess I could explain my hair quirks to the stylist. Tell him/her that I want something that I can wash and wear because I don't even own hairspray. But (1) I think that style is nonexistent and (2) I'm embarrassed. I mean, the stylist is clearly a person who loves this stuff so much that they chose to make it their life's work. Then comes me...someone who dreads this. I mean, I want to look and feel pretty, but not at a cost. I'm just not willing to spend the time it takes.

So anyway, my hair. The poor girl spent 1.5 hours on it and used a lot of product and a lot of heat and this is the best my hair can do?! Really?! Do you understand why I don't try?



And you better believe that only two hours after I was home, my hair was back in a pony tail. This girl has work to do!

However, I will go back to "let" her cut it and color it. What should I do with it?

3 comments:

  1. oh i think you look really pretty! seriously. i want to do something with my hair - but what, too? i still want a wavy perm to give my hair some body. . . but i don't know.

    i'm excited to see your new style. and i'd definitely explain to your "stylist" that you don't spend a lot of time on your hair b/c you don't want her doing something that requires a lot of time or else it looks like crud. right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, you look great. But I totally understand not wanting to "maintain" a hairdo. I've not used a hair dryer in 15 maybe 20 years. And with the humidity around here there's no point in even trying to do anything as I still end up with frizz all over.

    I will say, my sister-in-law had some sort of hair process done that cost her a couple hundred dollars but it straightened her hair and removed all the frizz for like 2 months. She loved, for the first time ever, really being able to wash and go in this climate. I just can't imagine spending that much on myself, though. I'm lucky to get my hair cut once a year and have recently considered just trimming it myself that one time a year :)

    I think you should definitely keep a simple hairstyle and don't let your stylist talk you into trying anything that requires more work than you currently do Chances are you're not going to change your habits and you don't want to be stuck with a high maintanence hairdo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your hair looks really pretty. but two hours? what a waste of time! so not neccessary. but if it's free then totally worth it! i'm too much like you when it comes to hair. i'm overdue for a major cut. we're talking past mermaid status. i'm thinking of donating it if i can work up the courage at my appointment. you can bet i'll blog it if i do. i don't ever color my hair so i can't help you there. as for a cut, most any free cut is a good cut. you'll look fab no matter what!

    ReplyDelete