Friday, October 29, 2010

Not Exactly as Planned

I've seen a couple of blogs recently with some confessions of how things don't always go as planned. My sister (sorry for you, her blog is private) blogged about her real life and some of its low parts. I'm sure she didn't plan on this reality as a new mom, but such it is. My blogger friend (called that because I've never met her in real life) Alyssa told her story about throwing her wedding ring at her husband (awesome). I'm guessing she didn't intend for that ring to go down the vent.

I think I've been thinking about this lately because I always feel so overwhelmed by the nice things people say when I post my projects. I feel like others must think I'm doing it because I seek the praise and the fawning. But in reality? Nope. Mostly I do it so that my sister and mom can see what I'm doing thousands of miles away. Partly I do it for those of you who also like creating; I can share the awesome tutorials I find. Partly I do it for my own reference: I have a terrible memory. When there's a birthday coming up, my mind draws a blank as to what I could make. So I turn to the blog and am reminded of gifts past.

But my things don't often turn out so lovely. Remember the pajama pants I made for Chuck but totally screwed up the cutting so they became pants for me? How about those pants I dyed because of the "chocolate" spot on the butt? I spent a lot of time dying them brown, only to have them come out mottled. Later, Chuck and I later tried dying his man-pajamas from purple to black, for them to come out...purple. The exact shade of purple they were before. And then, on their first washing, the purple dye bled onto a lot of other clothes in the washing machine, ruining one of Chuck's new favorite work shirts. D'oh. And my cute Halloween ghosts that were tied onto our tree in the front yard? During some serious rain the other night, some of the ghosts started to "bleed" the color of their wrapper onto my nice white fabric. We even have candy stalactites growing from some Tootsie Roll Pop sticks.  So much for using them again another year.

So there you have it. What is it they say about the best laid plans?

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE when you post pictures of your projects- it is very inspirational! You ALMOST (almost) have me wanting to learn how to sew. That is a big step because I vowed that I would never sew. (Not really sure why. I also vowed that I would never get into canning- that seems dumb now too.)

    Also, no one would ever think that you were seeking praise or validation, because you are so not that person.

    PS- I think the different lining on the bags is a great idea- sorry for not getting back to you sooner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly the reason why I love your blog so much. You do not have sponsors. You do not have giveaways. And your child is not in full time daycare so you can spend the day knitting cozies for your handsoaps in order to impress your thousands of readers. You're just a good mom with lots of talent and creativity and fun ideas. You are the opposite of "those blogs".

    ReplyDelete