Friday, October 22, 2010

Random Thoughts

Do you think I should try this chili for a ward chili cook-off tomorrow? The lack of tomatoes and beans is almost too risky for me. What do you think?

I haven't bought clothes in about seven years. Sure, I have a couple of newish pieces, but most everything I own is seven years old. Pathetic, I know. I'm finally ready to start redoing my wardrobe, but I have no idea where to start. Where does a mid-30s woman buy clothes that are age-appropriate but still stylish?

Speaking of clothes, what do you wear to bed? I found out a woman in my ward not only doesn't wear pajama pants, but couldn't imagine anyone else wearing them. WHAT?! That's all I wear from 7 p.m on. (In case you're wondering, she wears a long tee for pajamas.)

I want to enter this contest. But what should I make? As they're requiring the entry to be "original" I'm just not sure I'll be able to come up with my own creation. You know, me being re-creative and all.

Rhett entered his "Why" stage this month. It's driving me INSANE. Yes, I like that he wants to know and understand things. But no, I can't keep on this way. Here's an excerpt from a conversation we have at least 19 times a day:
Rhett: What day it is Mom?
Me: Wednesday.
Rhett: Why it Wednesday?
Me: Because yesterday was Tuesday.
Rhett: Why was yesterday Tuesday?
Me: Because the day before that was Monday.
Rhett: Why?
Me: Because that's just how it works.
Rhett: Why is that how it works?
Me: I don't know.
Rhett: Why don't you know?
All conversations end with this last question, "Why don't you know?" The kid's going to grow up thinking I'm an idiot. And really, it's taking every last bit of patience not to just ask him to stop talking altogether. Any suggestions on making this "why" stage better for all of us?  (To emphasize my point, on our run this morning Rhett spent about ten minutes singing "Why you don't know, why you don't know, why you don't know...."  Nice.)

Not really a question, but ah, how sad but true this is (and was for me). Even sadder still was how little the double major with geography helped me.

5 comments:

  1. oh your posts always make me laugh. and speaking of old clothes, i still have some stuff from college. it's pathetic.

    i don't know how to make the "why" phase any better. perhaps just realizing it is a phase and will someday pass? maybe start asking "why" all the time and see if he gets annoyed. just kidding. ha.

    i say go for the chili. could you make any soup, or just chili? maybe you should just rebel and make pumpkin soup - it's so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to actually click on the picture to see the whole comic. Stupid blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chili - I think the men will love it! Think of all those meat eaters, they don't want to waste their time on beans and tomatoes. I say go for it! I'm making a non-traditional chili myself.

    Go clothes shopping at Syms and Ross! Ross is frustrating sometimes because the store can be a mess and a service is slow, but I've found some great deals there. Syms is my go-to store for nice clothes at cheap prices! They had a sale last week, buy 2 coats for $50. I found a black wool p-coat and a sporty red leather-like jacket for $50 (FOR BOTH!) I've found some great dresses there for $25 and less and they have walls of blouses! I love that place.

    Good luck with the annoying stage...it will soon be gone, then replaced by yet another annoying stage LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh! we have a chili cook off next friday. let me know how yours turns out.

    i hear you on the clothes. i'm embarassed to admit that i still have high school clothes in my present home. but i'm proud to say they are currently in a give a way pile, i just haven't made it to the shelter yet. too busy. i need about $5000 and i think i could revamp my wardrobe. until then, it's bits and pieces of new things (like for birthday and christmas) for me. sigh.

    at least rhett asks why. syd is stuck asking "why not?" when she actually means to just ask why. this drives me nuts. she'll get over it, eventually and so will rhett.

    anything you make will be fab.

    and love the comic too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erin, still reading (and loving) your blog. Sometimes I feel like a bit of a stalker because we're not technically friends...but seriously, you're hilarious so I continue to read.
    I, too, need a new wardrobe. I find that I either dress like an 80 year old woman or a 13 year old. I'm having a hard time figuring out how a 30 year old dresses stylishly, and I've been hinting for years to my husband that I would love to be on What Not To Wear but it hasn't happened yet...so I'm guessing probably never will! So if you come to any solutions please let us know.
    I have similar conversations with my toddler every day, although she's not quite at the why stage yet. She has these couple of words --the same words--she uses with me EVERY DAY and at this point I'm going "You really don't know by now that mommy has no idea what you're saying?" She thinks it's hilarious. Our conversations go something like this:

    Sam: I want Ghana!
    Me: Ghana?
    Sam: Yeah.
    M: What's Ghana?
    S: Stares at me.
    M: Sam, what is Ghana?
    S: (more persistent) I want Ghana!!
    Repeat this about 5 times, a couple of times per day. INSANITY.

    Sorry for the long comment.

    ReplyDelete