Monday, January 17, 2011

Being Sick (in the ill sense of the word) is Not Sick (in the skater/snowboarder sense of the word)

I think I won a slew of awards for "Mother of the Year" last week. Award 1 came at 3:00 a.m. Monday morning when I heard Rhett coughing. Because it was the middle of the night and I was tired, when one cough sounded like it may have included some puke, I chose to ignore it. However, when he started crying for us to "clean his hands" at 5 a.m., I found him sleeping in puke. NICE. Now, I can't be sure if the puke just happened, or happened at three. Regardless, WINNER.

Award 2 came all day Monday when Rhett and I didn't move from the couch and watched TV all day. ALL DAY, with the exception of nap time. If you don't know, this is very, very unusual for us. Usually Rhett gets one show on Wednesdays during my "long showers" and one on Saturdays with Chuck while I run. That's it. So for him to be able to sit still all day and cuddle with me and watch TV, was almost fun. It would have been completely fun if not for the need (and use of) the puke bucket sitting next to the couch stinking up the place (and that we watched "Sponge Bob" and "Curious George").

Award 3 came Wednesday when I woke up at 2 a.m. with stomach problems of my own. I grabbed the puke bucket and brought it close to the bed, tossing and turning the rest of the morning. Since we didn't need our regular babysitter on Tuesday, I made a decision to send Rhett to the babysitter (he completely recovered, with the exception of an appetite) while I sat at home and watched REAL daytime TV (judge shows, anything on Bravo, you know, the good stuff). If only I hadn't been puking, it would have been a great way to spend the day.

Award 4 came Thursday morning when I again sent my son to the babysitter; I sent my sick, puking husband to work; and I stayed home and repeated the previous day. While I was feeling better, I was crazy weak and the loads and loads and regular + sick laundry took all day. It looked something like this: Step 1. Load washer. Step 2. Rest for wash cycle. Step 3. Repeat previous steps multiple times. I mean, someone had to do the laundry, but seeing as though all I had to eat in those two days was two popsicles and a small bowl of chicken soup, what energy could I have to do much else? I did manage to give Chuck some time for him. When he got home, I offered to pick up Rhett from the sitter, do some grocery shopping, and hit the library. This gave Chuck some time to nap (on the couch pull-out bed...living in style!). That was kinda redeeming, right?!

Award 5 came Thursday when, for the first time since Sunday, I put on real clothes and a bra. I can't remember the last time I went that long in pajamas. Believe me, it doesn't sound as luxurious as it sounds.

Thankfully we're all back to about 94%. Energy is back, sleep is caught up, and appetites returned. You just forget how crappy being sick is until you live it. But unlike childbirth, it results in nothing positive, except maybe the weight loss of three pounds!

Only five more days 'til Utah!

3 comments:

  1. Oh bagh! I had no idea how bad it really was!!! So sorry you guys! The family that pukes together, stays together... on the couch, in front of the TV. Hail Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you're better. and you were not an awful parent at all. you do what you gotta do when situations vary from the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no, no. no, it's what you HAVE to do, sick mommy=CHAOS......so the best thing to do is get mommy to feel better. hopefully it's out of everyone's system now.

    ReplyDelete