Friday, January 7, 2011

The Pros and Cons of Late Church

Last Sunday, our church meeting time moved from 8:30 a.m. (best time EVER) to 12:30 p.m. (one of the worst times ever). But in an effort to find the good in things, I noticed that there are a few good things about later church. I'll just need to remind myself of them every time I want to complain.

Pro: We can have much slower breakfasts than we had with early church.
Con: No nap for Rhett: church goes right through it and to wait until we get home is just too late.

Pro: No nap might mean earlier bedtimes on Sunday. It certainly equalled a late morning on Monday.
Con: I hoped it would mean a good nap on Monday too, but if this past Monday was any indication, then I'm in trouble.

Pro: Despite the fact that Rhett's been sleeping in later and later, we still rely on him to be our  alarm on Sundays.  This made for a really fast morning with early church. But with late church, we don't have to worry about it.
Con: He's not sleeping in that late. I mean, people with older kids or no kids might get to sleep in until 8 or 9 or later. Oh the luxury.

Pro: My meetings (PEC, ward council, what-have-you) will now take place before church.
Con: I get really hungry since I can't eat between 10:30 and 4. At least Rhett gets a snack in nursery.

Pro: We get to listen to NPR's Sunday Puzzle podcast live.
Con: Poor Chuck will miss all 1 p.m. Redskins football games come next fall. (Of course, they are the Redskins: there's not much to miss. Besides, we do have the TiVo.)

Pro: Once it warms up, we'll be able to walk Bruno in the morning. It gets us moving and wears out Bruno for our four-hour absence.
Con: Once you get home from church (and this is especially true in winter), your day is essentially over.

And not related, but still a pro/con. We recently got our 2011 tax assessment for our house.
Pro: It's about 22% less than it was last year.
Con: It's about 22% less than it was last year.

6 comments:

  1. Oh goodness!! Don't you hate when church changes on you? I feel your pain! Our church starts at 1:30pm!!! It is TERRIBLE. At least I just had a baby so I can "stay home" from church for a while and use that as my excuse, right? Good luck with the new schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! We moved to 1 pm and with a 12 month old, it's kind of the pits! One pro is that we are super close to the church so if I needed to take Ali home for a nap, I could. But, I'm in the YWs 3rd hour! So that makes things a bit trickier!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i guess at least there are pros.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late church with preschoolers is a nightmare! We've always struggled with it every time we switch! I think the White Oak warm might be the only ward in our area that always keeps the same time.
    At least you are looking on the bright side of things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man. 10:30 church was bad enough for Traci. I feel your pain. It is no fun having a kid who is all off schedule and is a huge sacrifice to make to go to church especially when kid is cranky before AND after church. Sundays are exhausting with kids.

    If it makes you feel any better, Traci still shouted and was really bad in sacrament today at 8:30 time. So I guess 8:30 doesn't solve all problems.

    AND I would love to drop by your quilting ruler sometime this week. Thanks so much for letting me borrow it! I will call you maƱana.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have 1-4 too and our sacrament meeting is LAST.....can you imagine the horror??! I tried and tried to get Emery to nap/sleep early to no avail, so she had about a 20 minute nap, usually it's 2-3 hours, before church. Which meant I walked the halls all dressed up with a whiny baby. ......I'm telling you inactivity sounds like a good plan somedays. AIYIYI

    ReplyDelete