Monday, January 31, 2011

A Conception Story: Chapter 1, The Background

I've been composing this post for well over a year now. The top line news story is that yes, I am pregnant. This is definitely good news. Due date is August 6th, but my doctor has already decided to induce earlier that week to ensure he'll be my delivery doc.  But underneath this headline are so many substories that I don't even know where to begin. So forgive the post in multiple parts. And let me also say this: I know that so many of you out there struggle with infertility and have done so for much longer than I did or will (this is it for us!). Although I do have a better understanding now, I in no means will pretend to know what it's like to want a baby for years and years and get nothing. I am so grateful that our foray into infertility was as short as it was.

When Chuck and I decided it was time to start a family, we got pregnant almost immediately. At the time, we were so clueless as to how conception actually works that it's quite laughable now. I read just enough (online, so you know, totally reliable) to know that two weeks after a period, I should ovulate. At which point, Chuck and I knew to go crazy with the baby making. That's what we did. Two weeks after the baby making, we took a pregnancy test and it was negative. I was devastated. Absolutely devastated.

This inspired us to learn more and more about conception, during which we had a big AHA moment. My whole life I’ve been a girl with irregular periods (as in I could go months with no period). But little did I know that this meant I was an irregular ovulator. So for all Chuck and I knew at that point, it was quite possible that I hadn't even ovulated! We immediately ordered some ovulation predictor kits and started testing as soon as we got them, which was a Friday. Friday and Saturday were negative, but Sunday…was that positive? Monday…positive. Tuesday…positive. Wednesday…positive. (Why keep taking them? Well, because it's fun when they're positive and I bought a 100 so why not use them?) For those of you who know, they shouldn't be positive for more than one or two days. So I called my favorite OB/GYN, who happens to be a college roommate of mine, to ask her what was up. She said it was likely I was pregnant so I immediately took a test and yeppers! Little embryo Rhett was there. Nine months later, he was out.

I should mention that this is probably why Rhett was late. Because they base due dates on day of last period (because that’s what they know), I’m sure it was off. But shhh...don’t tell the doctors!

Chapter 2 tomorrow...

9 comments:

  1. YAY! Congratulations!!! How exciting :)

    I'm sorry for your infertility trials. It is certainly a challenge for some and a total roadblock for others on the road to starting or even completing a family.

    I, like you, have had my own issues and had even accepted that I would never have children. Fortunately, Heavenly Father had other plans for me :)

    Congratulations, again. I'm very excited for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! We had our suspicions at the last iron chef! So happy for you guys. And thanks for sharing. Looking forward to reading. It's always to touching to hear people's stories and the trust they bestow when they share details of their lives. We love you guys! Hooray for big-brother Rhett!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY exciting news!! Congratulations! I look forward to reading about chapter 2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh i loves me some suspense! can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATS! I'm so excited for you guys!!! I've been waiting for one of my friends to say that they are pregnant! The good news is that regardless of the gender, it is a win-win! Having two brother is so much fun, and little girls are fun to dress up. Can't wait to hear what's baking in your belly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I feel your pain with the struggles been there and done that never fun. So excited for you guys! I hope you are feeling well and look forward to more updates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats again! :) love the news, of course!

    i'm excited for chapter 2. . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH I'm excited for Chapter 2 as well...........;) So sorry, I mean that REALLY, it's HARD. I was JUST about to start taking fertility drugs when I discovered THANKFULLY I was pregnant with Mitt. Major came before we even THOUGHT about it! ;) AND........then it was a BIT of a struggle with Emery.....why so inconsistent? Who knows? They (Dr.'s) can't tell me either. I guess they just come when they are supposed too, even if it's not when the Mom's or Dad's planned on it!!!!

    SO so EXCITED for you, Chuck and Rhett. GREAT GREAT news!!!!! Happy pregnancy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!! I can't say I have experienced anything of the sort, but I am so sympathetic to those who do. What a trial! I am kind of a planner (at times) and it would be devastating for sure.

    Can't wait to read the rest, but so excited for you guys about this new little gal or guy!!! yay!!

    ReplyDelete