Monday, April 11, 2011

Like a Kid in a Candy Store

When I was in college I worked at a locally-owned outdoor products store (think small version of REI).  The running joke there was how all the employees worked to buy gear. And sadly, for most of the employees, this was true. I'm sure I managed to save some money, as well as pay for essentials. I did buy a lot of gear, however.

Of course that's not really necessary now. I have a great tent that should last a lifetime, as well as a good backpack and other good stuff. If I returned to a place like that, I'd end up buying a bunch of stuff I don't need. Plus, let's be honest, I'm not camping with the frequency I once was. Nor am I braving all the elements while skiing or snowshoeing, however cold and biting a Maryland winter can be.

But when I walked into the Container Store last Friday, WHOA. Talk about paycheck-blowing. Seriously, if I worked there (and if I still got paper checks), I'm sure I'd just sign my check over immediately. There's very little in that store I couldn't find a use for. Even Rhett loves playing with their trash cans; he can barely resist stepping on those pedals!

Since I can't afford very much without an employee discount, I didn't buy out the place. But I did come home with some lovely things that are already making me happy. Take, for instance, the makeover I did on our medicine cabinet. (Also see how much I had to throw out since it was expired!)






And then look at our "junk drawer." Oh how I hated this drawer. Obviously, I got rid of a bunch of stuff (ward directories, yes plural, from our ward from three years ago?!), but I can actually find stuff now. I love it.




I also bought some shelving to help with my fabric closet, but that's another day (or weekend).

P.S. No government shutdown = I have a job! Of course, the best thing about no shutdown is that people who really really need their government jobs also have them too.

2 comments:

  1. i could for sure use that store here!

    everything looks so much nicer and orderly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man that was the first store on my list when i went to visit ashley in seattle. it would be a dream to have one here. perhaps someday!

    ReplyDelete