Friday, April 8, 2011

Having a Problem Choosing a Name for Your Baby? Try This

I'll watch pretty much anything Bravo puts in front of me (except Real Housewives--I have some standards, you know). So when I saw they were debuting a new show called "Pregnant in Heels," I added it to the TiVo queue immediately. Because that's totally me, right? Okay, okay you got me. The real reason was that I needed something to watch while I folded laundry, in my big sweatshirt. And sweat socks. Oh yeah, and heels.

But I must admit that the show had me glued. It is about a woman (Rosie Pope) who calls herself a "maternity concierge." Pregnant women hire her and then she does whatever they need. Tuesday's show focused on two women: one who was eight months pregnant and had nothing ready for the baby (okay, maybe a changing table, but the crib was still in its box). Turns out pregnant woman and husband had issues. Surprise, surprise.

But the other couple's story was AWESOME. She and her husband were expecting baby #3, but they couldn't decide on a name (sound like anyone I know? Well, maybe not the baby #3 part). So they did what any sane couple would do: read through 12,000 baby names. Out loud. To each other. You know, so they could see each others' faces and reactions to baby names. Unfortunately nothing struck them. That's when they called Rosie.

What did Rosie do? You could call it her "three-pronged approach." Prong one was to have a think tank (yea, you read that correctly, a think tank) of people that brainstormed suitable names for the clients' baby. These think tankers were people like poets, CEOs, academics, and other people chosen suitable to select a name for the clients. Prong two was to have a focus group of regular people who discussed the top 10 names produced by the think tank. Prong three was a dinner party with friends where the friends gave the expectant couple their reactions to the top three names (as narrowed by the focus group). Oh my. Can you even imagine? The whole thing was so ridiculous that it was ridiculously awesome.

One of the coolest things about it was the three names they came up with: Miles (my sister's eldest), Asher (one of my top names), and Holden (another of my top names). Can my sister and I pick them or what?!

Anyway, gotta run. I have a think tank, focus group, and dinner party to plan. Cheers!

P.S. Fun fact: "queueing" is the only word I know that has five vowels in a row. Cool! Credit a math professor from undergrad who was very, very weird.

P.P.S. The baby namers? They ended up choosing "Bowen Asher." Asher was the winner from the whole process. But nobody but the couple like Bowen.

12 comments:

  1. Man I wish I had TV. And TiVo! And... watch it... we really like Asher. Because we can totally call dibs on a name for a baby which does not yet exist and whose male gender is improbable (considering our history). Bowen? (no offense to anyone out there...) but Bowen? Eck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think the shows sounds fabulous. and, yes, we are great name-pickers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh! I just saw that show! I actually just caught the think tank bit, but then I had to go somewhere! I'm so glad you told me the results! I LOVE the name Miles, but I've always been afraid that Miles Willis is too many s's. That is why Luke is Luke and not Lukas.
    I like your other two choices! I can't wait to hear what baby 2 is going to be named!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. can I be part of the think tank!? I say you bring back the name "mr. Mullett" maybe Mr. Mullett II.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or, do as we did. We had a dart board with several names on it. We threw only one dart which landed on Erin!!! Much easier than all this "planning." Mom & Dad

    By the way, Mom likes Zachery (Zack)...for what it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahah, sounds awesome!!!!

    Oh man, I have absolutely nothing done for my baby...in fact I've gone backward because I don't have a birth center anymore....

    Holden is the best name EVER, but I can't use it because my cousin and his wife just named their son Holden. Oh well. Good luck to both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read Catcher in the Rye before naming him Holden. I always associate the name with Holden Caulfield.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Melissa---read it and am still okay with naming a child holden. but not sure about mixing holden with our last name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was sooooo tempted to watch this show too!! What is it about being pregnant that makes you want to watch anything that has to do with pregnancy?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Asher (although it is becoming quite popular) and Holden, but like Melissa reminds me of Holden Caulfield. We thought of Chance when trying to name Chase, but opted for Chase instead...I really like Chance, though.

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just have to comment again. because i think it's so silly that because a cousin or friend or even a cousin's friend of a friend (you get the point, right) named their child something you can't use that same name. ridiculous. seriously! it drives me crazy. i was named emily. i had a cousin (5 or so years younger than me - maybe more???) who was given the same name. we even had the same last name. we didn't even live close to each other at the time, but around 10-12 years of age my cousin emily moved a couple of miles from my home. i could not have cared less that i had a cousin of the same name. so not a big deal. it drives me so crazy when people put "claims" on a name.

    plus, we have a niece named emma and we named our girl emmy. they have the same middle names (and last names!). emma - the older one - was flattered to have a cousin with such a similar name.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you really want to know the truth, I really liked "Catcher in the Rye." (Aghh, "flashbacks!) I'm glad you aren't bothered by it. Just don't use Holden as a middle name after anything that starts with the letter B -- or he'd be B. Holden! :)

    @Emily, I totally agree with you. Besides, no matter what name you choose -- however trendy, creative or traditional -- there's bound to be somebody else with that name, anyway. Go with the name you like!

    ReplyDelete