Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Name Search Continues

First, uh yeah, all of those dreams were real. So were the tears. My dreams have always been pretty strange (inherited from my mom) but pregnancy makes them worse.

Second, we're still on the name hunt for Baby Betamax. It's so bad we went through the alphabet just spouting names that began with each letter, but still, nothing. Because "Zeus" was last, it was the winner. But I look everywhere for names: books, obituaries, movies, other peoples' kids...everywhere. So far, nothing has really hit us the way Rhett did. I think it's because 2% of "illogical me" thinks it's a girl.

Mostly we just spout random names to each other. Sometimes we'll ask Rhett what he thinks. And if it's a name he's never before heard, he'll say, "That's not a name, Mom." Or, "I like it because it's a new name. I don't like old names." What the...?

The worst name I came up with so far? Rex. (Yes, I was serious.) Chuck replied, "Uh, you know we have a son named Rhett?" So then it became a joke with another suggestion of Brett.

Oh and it turns out that many of you aren't familiar with the name Betamax. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. I'll let you in on the secret anyway. Years and years ago, VHS tapes had a rival: Sony's Betamax (or sometimes just Beta). The quality of the machine and the tapes was superior to the VHS format. But you paid for that in Beta's price, of course. My dad, who was serving in the Marines in Japan at the time Beta came out, saw that Beta was a better product and bought a machine and recorded loads of movies to bring home when he was done (and for a cheaper price since he was already in Japan). Unfortunately, not enough people bought Beta and they soon died out. But I'll tell you, that Beta machine our family had? It lasted until my sister went to college and possibly beyond. What electronic product do you have that has lasted 15-20 years these days? None, I tell you, none.

3 comments:

  1. yep, love that beta. :)

    funny, i didn't know you illogically think you are growing a girl. :) you never know. . . although 2 ultrasounds showing a boy is pretty good evidence. :)

    is it just wishful thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no because really i don't care either way. seriously. i guess i just thought it was. but right, logically two ultrasounds saying boy probably equals boy. i go back for the last one in about two weeks. hopefully that will erase my 2% of doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have many fond memories of us watching "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" on the Beta.

    For what it's worth (which is nothing), here are some names I like: Alexander, Anthony, Jonathon, Marcus, Marius, Patrick and Sebastian.

    Or, perhaps, Slinkdne, my verification word!

    ReplyDelete