Friday, April 1, 2011

Documenting Your Life

I used to be a scrapbooker. Then I moved on to digital scrapbooking...for about one day. Then I turned to "blogging." It was my excuse for not keeping a journal (something I wasn't good at anyway) and for not scrapbooking. Plus, I could share my exploits with family, 90% of whom live far away.

Now I'm wondering just how I should be documenting the doings of my family. Obviously, I have as many digital pictures as the next gal, and they're saved on CD/DVDs that are soon to be housed in a fireproof box. (Speaking of, does anyone use a fireproof box or safe in their house and would like to recommend one to me?) But that's not good enough.

So what does everyone else do? Are you still scrapbooking with paper or maybe digitally? Do you use some online company to compile a book (much like I did here)?

And how do you handle creating these things for your kids? My mom gave me scrapbooks from when I was a kid, but I have nothing like this for Rhett.

One solution would be to keep creating the Shutterfly books, but print them for not only the entire family, but for Rhett and Betamax to take with them through their lives (with a cost of book x 3). What other options do I have?

I'm really just flummoxed as to what the best solution is for me and my family. Help!

P.S. What do you think of this? I'm not entirely happy with our photo wall, but this, I like. Rather than pay the $40 for it from Bed, Bath, and Beyond (it's plastic), I could cut the tree parts out of vinyl and it would look great, right?

6 comments:

  1. For Christmas my SIL got me photoshop elements. So it still is like the traditional scrapbooking but takes MUCH less time! They print out the pages on 12 by 12 photo paper from costco and slip in it their sheet protector. They can still type in the "journaling" they would like to add on the page. You also can buy lots of page backgrounds and stuff or just look for free ones from other blogs. I'm still VERY new at it, but it is something I would like to get into. All of theirs look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's got to be a way to print off blog pages and put them in a book! Also, I love the family tree thing and if you do it for a craft night I would LOVE to join and help pay for vinyl and what not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I am so pleased that I found this! I just saw this idea (of the tree with pics) replicated out in blog land this morning! http://onemonthtowinit.blogspot.com/2011/03/season-1-week-3-results.html
    You can click on it from this post.

    And yes, I use blurb too. Works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am fond of scrapbooking. It lets me preserve lots of photos and fun things from the actual places or times -- ticket stubs, sand, cards, notes, etc. Plus, I get to be creative and put my proverbial stamp on everything.

    But for times when I have way too many photos or cards that I want to save, I scan the cards and use Shutterfly. I did my transplant experience and safari vacation that way. Journaling is a breeze, because all you have to do is type.

    Both are expensive options, but I think it's worth it, because they are keepsakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 things I love. Project life from becky higgins. I did it weekly last year and I loved it. This year I am doing by the month. And yes you can print your blog in a book and choose what posts to include if you don't want some. I can email you the site if you are interested. These two things have changed my life and simplified my picture madness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, blurb for a blog book, I create one every 6 months......

    AND.......I have CD's that NEED a fireproof box too, so when you find a good one let me know!!!

    AND.....LOVE the family tree, looks like you can create your own now. ;)

    AND......I have really been thinking about creating a private private blog for my inner most thoughts and desires.......I would be the only invite, then print off each year or whatever the case may be to strictly journal......don't know, yet, but something I am REALLY considering. My blog is private and I like that, but there are still things I don't say anywhere, and maybe it's time "I" have my OWN voice, somewhere, for me, and possibly posterity. ;)

    ReplyDelete