Wednesday, April 27, 2011

White House Easter Egg Roll (Warning--Lots of Cute Boy Pictures)

Some of you may not know that I spent my elementary school years in Northern Virginia. Now you do. We frequently took school trips to D.C. and thought it was sooooo boring the entire time. One relic I had from all of this was a wooden egg from a White House Easter Egg Roll. But recently I found out my entire childhood was a sham--I never actually went to said Roll. Instead, our neighbor (who was a high-up man in the Reagan administration) probably just gave it to my family. A lie. My whole life a lie.

Anyway, seeing as though I live in D.C. suburbs again, I thought it would be fun to try to get tickets for rills. In years past, you'd have to wait in line overnight for tickets. But recently, they've gone to an online lottery system. Love it. And this year (the first I tried) we got tickets! Note: I make this sound easy. Apparently more than 200,000 people signed up and only 30,000 were chosen. We luckily made the cut.

It started out with a lot of lines. First the line to wait to get through security (where they took my fancy Mary Kay lip stuff--argh). Then the line to wait just to get in. But through it all Rhett was a champ. Even mastering spit bubbles (see picture 2). The weather was warm (in the 80s...take that you freezing Utahans!), but thankfully humidity dropped from the morning's 90%, so it wasn't miserable. And double thankfully, we remembered sunscreen! Triple thankfully, we didn't bring it with us because they would have taken it too!








Once you get in the event, you basically walk around and see everything they have for you. Of course there's the roll, but there's also random book/TV characters milling about, egg dyeing, egg hunts, music (Willow Smith, anyone?), story time (Geena Davis--we saw her but sadly missed John Lithgow!), food demos (Carla Hall and Spike Mendelsohn!), and free drinks (which is good since they took everything you had before you were allowed in). It was a great time.






You MUST click on this next picture to enlarge it. Then find the arrow. It's pointing to the lady's fingernails. All 12" of them.
















And video of the roll. Please know that I didn't know Chuck was making a movie, otherwise I wouldn't have kept posing like an idiot.

5 comments:

  1. what fantastic pictures of what looked like a fantastic day. so fun! well, except for the fingernail lady - gross.

    and the video makes me laugh - only cuz of what you said about not knowing it was on video. i wouldn't have noticed the "posing," but since you pointed it out, it made me laugh. :)

    the hat looked great - perfect for that hot, sunny day. really cool activity - again, wish we could have been there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wozers. Those nails were craaazy! Holy cow. And your prego belly! So fun to see. I am excited for you guys. Oh, and wondering if there was a wooden egg for you to bring home this time?! You know, just to make it rill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda---yep, that last picture of Rhett has him with the pink wooden egg. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rhett looks so summery and handsome! Nice hat!

    And I want the fingernail lady to peel my boiled Easter eggs! Puh-lease?

    You lucky ducks. Picked your first year entering the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun, sorry they confiscated your stuff, that's the WORST.......And sorry that you just now learned your life was a scam...ha...ha.... ;)

    ReplyDelete