Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Update on Nothing

Let's go youngest to oldest, shall we?

Baby Betamax: Still kicking. Everything seems fine with him. Except, of course, he has no name.

Rhett: What to say about this kid. First, he still is in love with signs and is constantly asking us, "What does that sign mean?" And if we drive too quickly by one and can't tell him because the sign is now behind us (who pays attention to signs when you're driving?!), he gets upset.

Let's talk more about him getting upset. Please tell me this is normal for a barely-three-year-old. He's playing with magnets on the fridge and one keeps falling off...crying ensues. He's playing with his blocks and a tower falls...crying ensues. Another child rearranges his toy trains...crying ensues. I'm trying to teach him better ways to respond to disappointment, but for now, while we're still learning, someone please tell me this is normal. Thankfully, it's only about 3% of my day that I'm dealing with this.

Also, he continues to crack me up. I'm trying to teach him that we don't always get what we want and that some times we have to do hard things (you know, like take off your own shirt). The other day when I'm trying to get him to go inside for lunch when he doesn't want to go, I tell him that I'd really like him to get inside. His response? "We don't always get what we want, Mom." Sweet.

Finally, he listens to everything that Chuck and I say. Everything. (Of course, I don't mean to imply that he actually obeys all the time when we ask him things.  Oh no.) This intent listening is fine most of the time, but when Chuck and I are having an adult conversation in the car or while pushing the stroller, he'll keep asking about what all the big words are or what we're talking about. This is only slightly grating. Even more grating is that he's learning that when we spell words ("Do we have any O-R-E-O-s for FHE treat?") he KNOWS that we're trying to talk in such a way that he won't understand. He really does not like this. And I don't like that I can't talk about top-secret things in front of him. Maybe it's time for me to learn Spanish. Or just start conversing with Chuck in pig latin.

Chuck: While not a big reader, he's been reading like crazy these past couple of weeks. It's been really weird for me to see him read! I'll let him share the books in a comment, should he desire. Spring break is coming up next week and he's excited, and I'm excited to have him home for six work days. After that, it's a few weeks until Memorial Day, after which finals (and general ease) begin and then summer! Hooray for a late Easter that makes all of this go by quickly. Also, he just got a new calling in the EQ presidency; wondering if he'll get released from his old one (Gospel Essentials teacher)!

Me: This amplified pregnancy continues. I feel so much bigger than I did with Rhett at this point. I am already starting to complain as if I were seven months, rather than just five. I finished the stocking for Baby Betamax, but of course, can't put in a name. I'm thinking about making a hospital gown for Betamax's delivery. Do you think that's weird?

Maryland: Can't make up its mind whether it's winter or spring. Take the past two weekends. Each Saturday in said weekends was freezing. And I mean down-jacket-wearing freezing. But by the next Monday (only two days later!), it was in the mid-80s. And yesterday was humid to boot. There's a dumb joke about statisticians (Three statisticians went out hunting, and came across a large deer. The first statistician fired, but missed by a meter to the left. The second statistician fired, but missed by a meter to the right. The third statistician didn't fire, but shouted in triumph, "On average we got it!"), and that's I feel now. A couple of days in the 40s, some in the 80s, and on average, we have lovely weather! But that's not how it feels. Please don't skip spring, Maryland. I need you.

4 comments:

  1. The only thing abnormal about it is that it occurs only 3% of the time. Should be more like 50%

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the statistician joke!!!

    Have you heard about the terrible 2s? Well, I have bad news...the 3s are worse. Be grateful the crying isn't happening more often and isn't more along the lines of tantrums!

    I'm with you, MD can't skip spring, I need it! I can't decide whether to garden or not because I'm not sure when to start this year. I've not felt much of spring, which is usually my trigger to start my seeds.

    Good luck with the new calling, Chuck! My condolences, Erin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Rhett stories are hilarious. I literally laugh out loud reading them. I know not all of them are meant to be funny and are frustrating in the moment so for that I am sorry! I don't have any advice, but I do hope it will get better!

    I love the idea of you making a gown for the delivery! I HATED the gown I wore at mine and even more than that I HATED that in all my pictures of the hospital you read 'Central Laundry' smack dab in the middle of my chest. It takes away from the tenderness of the moment. Go for it! You'll be the most stylin' mamma there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man, that kid. he's gonna outsmart his {smartie} parents any day now. . . :) he's awesome. and, yes, it's definitely the terrible 3s. ask any parent.

    share what books you are reading chuck. i'm curious. . .

    what crazy weather you have!

    ReplyDelete