Friday, April 22, 2011

Pet Peeves

My friend Todd recently posted about some pet peeves of his. Seeing as though he's a doctor, a lot of his peeves focused on medical things.

It got me thinking about my mathematical pet peeves. The biggest one I could think of is the misuse of the cent sign. The next time you're at a grocery store, I will bet a lot of money that you'll see a sign for some good priced at "0.50 cents." Hopefully you see a problem with this. If not, let me explain.

Do you see a difference between 0.50 dollars and 0.50 cents? The former represents one-half of a dollar (or 50 cents, no decimal). The latter represents one-half of a cent, or a ha'penny if you wish. So whenever I see something that's being advertised as 0.50 cents, I want to buy it and only it, hand the cashier a penny, and tell them to keep the change. Or just charge them with false advertising. Something tells me I wouldn't win, if only because no one else in court would understand the difference.

And random but here goes: Cafe Rio is a pet peeve. I have met no one who doesn't like it, except for me. I hate ordering in there, and don't really like what they have to order. But I thought I was safe from it, you know, seeing as though I live in Maryland. Turns out I was WRONG. DEAD WRONG. Cafe Rio will soon be expanding east for the first time to...wait for it...Olney (about 10 minutes north of me). I'm dying. At least my parents will have somewhere to eat where they're guaranteed to like the food. Sigh.

11 comments:

  1. yeah, that cents thing can be real annoying. i would love you to call out a store on it! do it!

    oh man cafe rio - love it. i seriously think you need to give it another chance, like i told you. if you don't like salads, then don't order one. :) go in with an open mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hhahahahahahaahahahhaha. So funny. Honestly, we are not that into Cafe Rio!!!!!!!!!!!

    We would eat there if someone (say a family member because they allll love it and want to go there) were paying, but we really don't see what the big deal is and we HATE that EVERYONE LOVES IT!

    Nikki/Collin/Monte/Skittlecore are WITH YOU! :) :) (because yes, we decide what our kitten and unborn babe like.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to say that I also like Cafe Rio. I'm not a big Bajio fan though, does that count?!

    I hate it when people clap after a movie. Duh. There is no one there who was in the movie. No one cares. No one is waiting for applause. Just thought I'd let you know that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chase doesn't like Cafe Rio! he doesn't get why I like it so much. SO there you go. Someone else in the world that dislikes it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we don't eat their either. we are devoted barbacoa fans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the shout out. :) And sorry to say, I love cafe rio!

    ReplyDelete
  7. people only love Cafe Rio because it reminds them of simpler days of flirting like their life depended on it, of being single, and of not really minding standing in line for 45 min for a salad that is only "awesome" because it is as far as most wish to venture from the campus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marc and I loved Cafe Rio, but the last few times we were in Utah we felt it was overrated. The same faded love occurred with Lebanese Taverna.

    As for .50 cents. I think that you could get away with paying a penny if you did it at Walmart. From my understanding they are always matching prices, so they might be more flexible to repairing their advertising errors. Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wondered if I was the only one who gets truly outraged by the cents thing... One of these days I'm going to actually do like you said and pay with a penny and tell them they can keep the change.

    As for Cafe Rio - I've never even heard of it. So I'll hate it with you. Just for support.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, I'm sorry. I would totally have thought you were safe from Cafe Rio too. However that being said, I don't hate it........but I'd rather go to Costa Vida, I know I know, are they really any different, YES, to me, they are. Costa Vida actually cuts up the lettuce in appropriate biteable sizes for their salads......See....it's the details!!! ;)

    BUMMER for you. Yay for Jim and Dixie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I HATE CAFE RIO! I never got into it. Everybody raved about it and every time I went there I thought, "Not impressed."

    Also, when I was newly pregnant with Jake I was working at an optical shop in Provo and the kitchen/break room happened to be right behind where I worked all day. Other employees would bring in Cafe Rio take out, cuz everyone loved it, and the smell gagged me. I had to hold my breath when going in. But me disliking Cafe Amazing occured way before. This just now makes me gag when I smell it, even 8 yrs later...or even thinking about it...right now. Next subjects!

    ReplyDelete