Friday, June 17, 2011

An Interview with Me

Me: Thanks, erin, for joining us today.
Erin: No problem! Thanks for inviting me. I'm excited to be here.

Me: So, how are you feeling these days?
Erin: Well, I always say that it's about as good as it gets. Because I don't experience morning sickness, nor have I yet to be sentenced to bed rest, I feel pretty lucky. But that's quickly changing. As I did with Rhett, I'm starting to develop some severe pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel. It shows up when typing, driving, holding books, cooking, sewing, and the worst...sleeping. My hands go numb and wake me up about five times a night. Then I have to try to figure out how to get it to go away. It's extremely frustrating. However, at Wednesday's OB appointment, my doctor recommended visiting an orthopaedist who can get me a splint. Hooray! And hooray for not being in an HMO, because when I was pregnant with Rhett, the OB said there was nothing I could do for it. Man, I really really dislike HMOs.

Me: Is there anything positive about being pregnant during summer?
Erin: One thing. This week excepting, our weather has been pretty miserable: hot and humid. If I weren't pregnant, I'd still be running. Last week it's not likely I would have tried to run and I would have felt very guilty (and very fat). However, being seven months pregnant gives me an excuse to not run now, and I'm okay with that, and okay with feeling fat. We still try to get out often and walk Bruno, so I'm getting my pregnant-lady exercise.

Me: Are you feeling ready for this baby?
Erin: Nope. We've certainly talked about all the things we need (which isn't much, thankfully). We still need bottles, crib sheets, and a crib mattress, but that's about it. We're getting closer on the name front, so that's good. As for the reality of going from one child to two? No way do I feel ready. I'm scared to death. Scared to lose time with my little man, scared of taking care of two kids, scared of having a newborn in the house again. And no one's even tried to convince me I shouldn't be, which just scares me more.

Me: So this was Chuck's last week in school. How are you and Chuck feeling about your summer plans?
Erin: Pretty good. Given how exhausted am I now as a mom and pregnant lady (you women who do this multiple times, especially with multiple kids outside of the uterus, absolutely amaze me), work will be a welcomed environment. Blasted air conditioning and no running around chasing a toddler sounds dreamy right about now. I am sad that these are the last times we have as a family of three, though. I sure like that little man. Chuck is excited to start potty training on Monday. Wish them luck!

Me: Is there anything fun going on this summer?
Erin: Does sitting around waiting for the humidity to go and the baby to come count? No? Oh. Well we still have fun plans: we will be brushing up on our Algebra II. Chuck's teaching it for the first time this school year and neither of us has "used" it since we took it...21 years ago for me, probably 20 for Chuck! When you take as much math as I have, you can't remember what specific parts fit into which specific courses, so it'll be fun to find that out.

Me: How is Rhett doing?
Erin: Just fine. He really is a funny little dude. I am getting very tired of reading Berenstain Bears books, though. And telling stories about ceiling fans. But I do love him and am excited to see what type of big brother he'll be. He's so excited about his baby brother and is constantly telling us about all the things he'll do once the baby comes. For example, he's going to make him smile, feed him all by himself, hold him, play with him. He really is adorable about the whole thing--I hope it lasts!

Me: Anything else you'd like to add?
Erin: You know, I've got a pretty great life and am excited to meet this little one taking up residence in my uterus. And really, any time he sees fit to come join us (after about 37 weeks, of course), I'm all for it.

Thanks for indulging me as I do a bit of journaling.

5 comments:

  1. Just a quick suggestion on the numb hands...elevate the head of your bed a bit. We put a 2X3 on its edge under the head of the bed (which raises it 2 and 5/8 inches) and it makes a world of difference. You can also purchase a splint at CVS (that's where I found mine 8+ years ago when I started having the same issue).

    Good luck, hang in there and enjoy work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the hands! And Algebra II? Wow. You guys are the coolest. We'll see what we can do to spice up your summer plans a bit.

    As for worrying about losing time with your little man. Don't worry, just ignore the second child. It happens a lot. (I kid! Well, actually... I've found this to be true... you never treat a baby like you do your FIRST baby... man, I'm waxing on sounding as if I know what I'm talking about - I don't.) You'll still that precious time together, especially when No. 2 is sleeping. Which they tend to do a lot of in the first few months.

    Rhett is going to be awesome in his new role as big brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yahoo, i just wrote you asking how you are, and this is great. love you, erin. I hope all is well and that all your fears are calmed. you're such a great mom. everything will work out. it all sounds so exciting, and yeah, pregnant lady exercise. I'm good with yoga, swimming and walking, hehe. I'll go crazy after little dude comes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loved the interview.

    so, yeah, i want to 2nd nathalia. to give you more positive vibes on baby #2 and disrupting the relationship you have with rhett. of course it will change. i remember crying thinking about losing my 1-on-1 time with miles. but, yes, newborns nap a ton. take advantage of it - naps for you, playtime for rhett. and even once the newborn stops napping a ton, he'll still be on a 2-naps-a-day schedule, most likely, so you'll still have time with just you and rhett. and you'll even treasure it more - and so will he.

    and get some splints for those wrist. ben made me some - and even a "homemade" version did the trick (but get the real-deals if you can!). good luck.

    you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your interview too! Hilarious! You are going to rock it with 2 kids! After the craziness settles you will quickly fall into a routine. Newborn babies sleep so much, that you'll still find tons of time for Rhett, and when Rhett starts preschool, then you'll have one on one time with the baby. It all works out. I think what you'll love most is seeing the boys together. Siblings are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete