Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My Version of S.A.D.

I know I shouldn't be, but every Maryland summer I am amazed at how affected by the weather I am. Modern (wo)man likes to think that we have Mother Nature conquered, but alas, we do not. Air conditioning and heating help, but can't do everything. I mean, at some point, I have to go outside. Remember the storms of 2010? Certainly no conquering then.

So every June (or, worse, May, or very worst, April), I am forced to face the fact that I am a WIMP when it comes to summers in Maryland. The heat alone I could handle. But add the humidity? No non-swear word can express how I feel about it. Early last week we got our first taste of disgusting. It was hot (record-breaking hot, in fact) and humid (with humidity equaling temperature at times). This does not a good combination make. But care to make it worse? Add a three-year-old, a seven-month-pregnant woman, a ton of laundry, and grocery shopping to do (if I wanted to serve dinner, that is). It was, quite easily, the worst day I had in a long, long time. Clearly Bruno felt the same way.


I was afraid that this terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day would be indicative of the remaining 60-odd days of pregnancy. This did not make me feel good. I felt like a failure of a mother and wife because I could barely play with my son, nonetheless take care of everything else I had to do. I felt extremely guilty to all involved parties (Chuck, Rhett, and Bruno). I really didn't think I could blame it all on the weather...or could I?

Turns out, yes, yes I could. When Friday was gorgeous (high of 81 with almost no humidity), and I could suddenly do things again, oh the relief! And since weather was the only thing I could blame on the change, that's exactly what I did. We ended up having two of these gorgeous days (in a row!) wherein we played in the sandbox, swam in our baby pool, walked the dog, walked the dog again but went way farther than I should have, gave the boy a haircut, took in a birthday party, and even went on a date. It was awesome. Truly awesome.




So as long as the universe sees fit to throw me reasonably-warm summer days, I think I'll survive the pregnancy. Otherwise I'll just have to be thankful for a job that is uber-air-conditioned and a husband who will stay home and do the laundry everything but the laundry.

P.S. What did we do on our date? We went swimming! How awesome is that?! To go child-less swimming was such a joy. The only downside is doing it with contacts. Argh. Lasik...you will be mine.

P.P.S. Have you watched "The I.T. Crowd" yet? You can get it on Netflix (even the play it now version of Netflix). So if you have Netflix, do it. I don't do general media recommendations often, so when I do, you know it's For. Rills.

P.P.P.S. Today is going to be another scorcher. Ugh.

4 comments:

  1. man, it's totally the weather. i have even felt it here - when the highs are in the upper 80s, i just languish. ugh is right. and, of course, we don't have the humidity. i can't handle H+H. no way. and then being pregnant - that's so hard. so give yourself some credit and slack. and oh about 7-8 weeks. . .

    i, too, was grateful when i worked - for some good ol' AC! i totally looked forward to finally cooling down. frankly, working outside the home the past month or 2 of your pregnancy might be a huge blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We come home for 3 weeks at the end of July- how bad is the humidity going to kick my trash? Growing up in the East, I didn't even really realize what humidity was until after I was married and spent the summer in Utah, only coming home for a 2 week break in June. Wow, was it shocking! I hope you get some relief! It seems that I am remember a summer a couple of years ago which really wasn't so bad. Hopefully this year will ease up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I would bring a space heater into work for the summer months because the AC was set so high. I also threaten to go inactive in the summers because church is so cold as well. I like the idea that businesses in Japan have adopted, setting the thermostat to 77 degrees and allowing working men to wear short sleeve business shirts (ugly, but necessary) to save on AC costs.

    However, I agree with you. Too hot is too hot! Being the sweaty person that I am, I agree that the humidity + heat can be really unattractive and uncomfortable. Use those inappropriate words! Plus pregnancy. Ugh! Hang in there (do you have a choice? ;)!) And you can always come swimming at our place! We have guest passes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES, to lasik!!!! I did it 5 years ago and LOVE it!!! (although since being pregnant my vision has blurred, but I'm all read up! it just happens to some women and should return back to normal, I HOPE!)

    BUT YES! It's wonderful!!

    well I love you and I hope that the weather isn't too unbearable today. it's just so dry here. my heels are dried up! even with lotion! and my knuckles!

    glad you enjoyed swimming!!!!

    ReplyDelete