Friday, June 3, 2011

Random Thoughts

We had no terrible 2s in our house. Seriously, he was a lovely, lovely two-year-old. But three? Oh my. Soooo not the case. The most annoying thing he does? When we tell him that if does X [say, put his feet on the bathroom sink counter], then we won't do Y [tell him his bedtime stories]. His response is almost always, "Yes you will." Do you know how infuriating that is to have a three-year-old tell you what you will or won't do?! (Probably as infuriating it is to have parents telling you what to do all the time, but that's beside the point.) It's a good thing I'm pregnant and holding in all this extra hair because I'm pulling it out to compensate. This does not bode well for post-pregnancy, however.

If money didn't matter, at what temperature would you set your thermostat in the summer? Winter?

Rhett has really been into "little kid music" recently. So much so, that when we turn it on, he sits on the couch and stares at the stereo. I tell myself this is better than watching TV, but is it? Am I just deluding myself?

Could you name a child you like, but don't absolutely love? We have a bunch of names that are all good, solid names. However, not one pulls me toward it like I've got a rope around my stomach and it's doing that funny dance move. Rhett's name did that. But now? Nothing. Does that mean we keep looking for the one or do we just go with one we like but don't love?

Awkward Pregnancy Comment Counter is now at 2 with this one: "Do you have twins in there?" It gets zero points for originality but 10 points for being one of the worst questions you can ask a pregnant woman.

Finally: after a couple days of complete miserability, Maryland goes and gives me yesterday ...and TOTALLY redeems itself! Marylanders, am I right, or am I right? Holy moly it was gorgeous last night and today looks to be just as lovely.

7 comments:

  1. oh man do i hate the THREES. so terrible. luckily emmy only has a few more months left!!! hopefully four will be a magical and beautiful number for emmy. :) good luck with rhett, too.

    summer: 65? winter: 70?

    i definitely think being entertained by music is waaaay better than staring at tv. i don't have a clue why i think that tho.

    i've always loved my names for my kids, so i don't know if i could? but sometimes it just takes longer to find "the one." hang in there. and i'm sure you'd fall pretty quickly in love with a name after you see the cute babe it belongs too.

    stupid person. my friend, stacey, got a triplet comment! seriously people!

    good for you and maryland. you can make peace. . . for a few days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a 3 year old is just an experienced 2 year old...

    I think I'd go for 71 year round.

    Music is great, not like TV at all! Music allows a child to think, not veg at the visual entertainment. We've always played LOTS of music for our kids and still do...they all have a great love of music. You should try dancing with him to see if you can get him up and moving while listening. Or try this website for fun kid songs that are educational: http://www.kidsknowit.com/educational-songs/index.php

    I wasn't in love with Chase's name, but it has grown on me. I say follow your instinct and don't make any decisions until you've met betamax in person.

    Stupid, stupid people! So sorry.

    The weather has been AWESOME!! I loved being outside yesterday and today. But, yesterday was perfect with the breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, Rhett! What a cute little stinker!

    I would keep the thermostat at 73 in the summer and winter....I forget. I can't remember what it feels like.

    Maybe for this little baby you'll have to see him and then one of the names will just be so right???

    And I'm so jealous to hear about the awesome weather there. I miss the green so badly. And I miss you really really really badly. Keep the random thoughts coming.

    Also, twins?! Yeah right. People are so weird. Someone literally said, "you're so fat," to me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm back!!

    Music is wonderful and you shouldn't feel bad at all about Rhett relaxing to it! We used to always get the "Ralph's World" CDs at the Aspen Hill library. I think they are sorted under "L" in the children's section. I recommend the "Happy Lemons" and "Green Gorilla" cds. His tunes are catchy and his lyrics are hilarious! Our kids also love Broadway CD's. Les Mis is always a big hit and we went through a big "Lion King" musical phase.

    Names...I'll admit that there are some of my kids names that I love more than others. I like them all, but Andrew was the one who really pushed for Samuel. I am absolutely in love with Luke's name (that one hit me about a week before he was due- I was driving on Randolph Road- and it was like there was no other name that he could possibly have been named and I wanted to deliver him that minute just so I could use the name). Afton, I was a little unsure about at the time, but I also LOVE the name now. Sam's name fits him, and I'm glad that Andrew felt so strongly about it. As for the next baby, I'm obsessed with the name Noelle if its a girl, but for a boy...I'm stumped. Actually, I really like the name Issack, but I don't LOVE it. I think I would be fine using it.

    Ok, it is time for me to end this novella.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You prefer music to TV not because you're delusional but because it still leaves scope for the imagination, right? Hones in on one sense, not overstimulating. I'm with you. We took the girls to the visitor's center last night for a children's/family concert... it made me happy and the girls "danced" together to the music.

    85 degrees and 60% humidity make me happy.

    Good luck with the naming. I think the stress of naming your babe is going to be the real impetus for him to come out early. Maybe a little East of Eden reading will inspiring your naming process?

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I cannot believe someone actually asked you about twins. I love humanity, but really?

    Also, the threes. M is in a contradictory phase. "Oh, did Sophie just share her toy with you?" "No! Sophie did not give me a toy." As she happily eats Cheerios for breakfast, "Do you like your Cheerios?" "No! I do NOT like my Cheerios!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. re the temp from your later post: 72 year round would be pretty comfy. Though Matt would undoubtedly say 68 year round. but because we do pay for ours, usually 74 is the A/C setting and 68 is the heat setting. I really like our heat pump. now if only we could afford to invest in solar panels our 100% electric utility house could start to pay for itself!

    ReplyDelete